PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I'm looking for something that taste as close to Sutliff Molto Dolce as possible and Cult Blood Red Moon. Any suggestions? It can not include Burley though which everything I've tried to find says Burley or doesn't taste the same. Thanks.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think you’re going to have a very difficult time finding a richly flavored aromatic that doesn’t include burley. In my experience, aromatics tend to be built on burley.

Reactions: Coreios

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I don’t smoke either, but isn’t Sutliff’s crème brûlée the same as molto dulce? Just incase you hadn’t tried it.

I agree on the above, burley or Maryland are commonly used for cavendish and aromatic blends as they take on flavouring very well.

Have you tried something like GH broken flake 7?

Also, do you get the same “allergic reaction” to something like lane 1q?

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
It does thats why I can't smoke it I'm allergic to Burley. But I love the stuff and would like an alternative.
Interesting, I've never heard of a specific tobacco allergy. Like the others said, it'll be tough finding an aromatic without burley.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I don’t smoke either, but isn’t Sutliff’s crème brûlée the same as molto dulce? Just incase you hadn’t tried it.

I agree on the above, burley or Maryland are commonly used for cavendish and aromatic blends as they take on flavouring very well.

Have you tried something like GH broken flake 7?

Also, do you get the same “allergic reaction” to something like lane 1q?
I haven't had GH broken Flake 7, or Lane 1Q. I could be wrong, but I don't think Sutliff Cream Brulee is the same. Sutliff Coconut Almond is, but it has Burley and I think the Cream Brulee does too. Ive had a lot of English blends, the only ones that made my mouth swell had Burley in them too.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I suggest you buy a sample of lane 1q and lane rlp6 (“essentially” the same but with burley in it too). That will very quickly help determine if it’s burley in all its forms, or whether cavendish processing alters the leaf enough so that it doesn’t affect you.

Out of curiosity, did the English blends which made your mouth swell also contain perique?

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I suggest you buy a sample of lane 1q and lane rlp6 (“essentially” the same but with burley in it too). That will very quickly help determine if it’s burley in all its forms, or whether cavendish processing alters the leaf enough so that it doesn’t affect you.

Out of curiosity, did the English blends which made your mouth swell also contain perique?
Some of the English did some didn't, but all had Burley. I've had Burley Cavendish and it also gave me a reaction. I still get a reaction but its more mild like regular tongue bite if I smoke something thats not Burley forward and has other things mixed in it. But so far no matter what, anything with Burley triggered me. I actually love black Cavendish I found an alternative for that in Villiger Tropical its Virginia Cavendish I believe.I just can't find a good cherry or coconut replacement. I'd also like to find a good peach.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I find it fascinating how different blends or blending components react with us all differently.

The closest thing I smoke which comes to a cherry aromatic is GH black cherry twist. Probably not gonna help you, but would be interesting to see whether you get the same reaction from the air and fire cured Virginias in it, which are more alkaline

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I find it fascinating how different blends or blending components react with us all differently.

The closest thing I smoke which comes to a cherry aromatic is GH black cherry twist. Probably not gonna help you, but would be interesting to see whether you get the same reaction from the air and fire cured Virginias in it, which are more alkaline
Yeah, I definitely have some experimenting to do.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
This may suit you:

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I be
This may suit you:
I believe that is Burley. I could be wrong, but I think in some stores its sold as Scotty's Trout Stream but it's the same thing from Hearth & Home renamed. It's listed as same ingredients but specifically says the Cavendish is Burley.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
SPC has a Pipe Tobacco Search function that allows you to include and exclude components while picking what "family" of tobacco you're looking for (like aromatic). At first blush, there are about 200 aromatics that exclude burley and about 30 that also exclude black Cavendish. Some other major vendors have a similar.search function.

Cherries Jubilee may scratch your itch and Autumn Evening smells like maple syrup on pancakes. Lots of Lakeland blends on the list too.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
SPC has a Pipe Tobacco Search function that allows you to include and exclude components while picking what "family" of tobacco you're looking for (like aromatic). At first blush, there are about 200 aromatics that exclude burley and about 30 that also exclude black Cavendish. Some other major vendors have a similar.search function.

Cherries Jubilee may scratch your itch and Autumn Evening smells like maple syrup on pancakes. Lots of Lakeland blends on the list too.
I ordered Autumn Evening the other day, it'll be here tomorrow. I did not know SPC had that search option. I was going to Pipes & Cigars. I'll check it out, thank you!

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Lane MV1000, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, Sutliff EMP match, Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia and Two Friends English Chocolate are some nicely crafted non burley blends you may want to consider.
MV1000 is an all day smoke for me!
Based on searching through the 180 blends I have on hand.
Using a spreadsheet I built to track and characterise based on components, flavorings and my personal experience with each.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: trouttimes