PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I bought some Sutliff Medium English recently and I'd like to try it soon. On Tobacco Reviews one user says the blend is heavy in PG and that it'll need to be dried for several days. However it doesn't seem very wet to me, and the review was over ten years old so I'm wondering if it's still PG heavy or uses it at all anymore.

Does anybody have experience with this blend, and if so how long would you suggest drying it?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I bought some Sutliff Medium English recently and I'd like to try it soon. On Tobacco Reviews one user says the blend is heavy in PG and that it'll need to be dried for several days. However it doesn't seem very wet to me, and the review was over ten years old so I'm wondering if it's still PG heavy or uses it at all anymore.

Does anybody have experience with this blend, and if so how long would you suggest drying it?

What you have is an opinion by one individual who may, or may not, have a clue. Load it up and smoke it. If you're happy, you're good to go, and if it tastes a little flat, give it an hour in the open air and try again. Pipe smoking is partly a process of experimentation. Especially if one has hopes of being any good at it.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
What you have is an opinion by one individual who may, or may not, have a clue. Load it up and smoke it. If you're happy, you're good to go, and if it tastes a little flat, give it an hour in the open air and try again. Pipe smoking is partly a process of experimentation. Especially if one has hopes of being any good at it.
I'm thinking I'll try the packing overnight method first, I want to smoke it tomorrow after lunch.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
However it doesn't seem very wet to me.
You are the expert on the blend in your possession. Does it feel like it needs to dry?

I almost never dry any tobacco I smoke—I’ve never encountered a need--so feel free to dismiss this if you‘d rather have advice from one of the drying fans. But my advice: Open the bag, fill a pipe, and decide for yourself if it seems to be delivering a satisfying experience. Only then will you have a baseline by which to judge the effects of drying in the future (should you want to change things up).

Reactions: Zamora and jpmcwjr

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
You’ll find that almost everything about pipe smoking is YMMV (your mileage may vary). Personally I’d find some YouTube videos and go from there.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
You’ll find that almost everything about pipe smoking is YMMV (your mileage may vary). Personally I’d find some YouTube videos and go from there.
I've seen plenty about drying but couldn't find any about Sutliff Medium English specifically. I know Muttnchop simply dries all his tobacco overnight, hearing him say that made me far less concerned about possibly overdrying it

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Drying times are not blend specific, they vary depending on the humidity/weather, AC or furnace usage, age and storage method of the tobacco, initial moisture level when purchased, etc, etc.

I've bought #502 and had it come very moist, crispy dry, and perfect for smoking, it varies when buying bulk. It being a Sutliff blend it typically comes quite moist and doesn't dry out fast. I personally would be on the side of more dry for English/Latakia blends, but some people like Moist, "de gustibus non est disputandum."

As always, YMMV, depending on your mood, pipe, environment, or thousands of other variables.

Reactions: Zamora and jpmcwjr