PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Picked up a 1lb bag of this last year (Nov 2022) on spec -- after buying a tin of Peterson Elizabethan, the price was right! Jarred up the lot and kept a small jar in my "open" drawer to taste. Tried it then and didn't feel any magic... Now, 8 months later, I opened that smaller jar again and first, a beautiful jar note! Sweet and a rich perique fruit scent... I put it in the SMS 6 panel bent meer. DELICIOUS! Others explain it better. Attractive blend, fair moisture, let it dry for 10 minutes then loaded with a fairly firm pack, and when lit, it is completely satisfying on this warm summer day in the shade with a cold pale ale. I'm glad I have more in the cellar! I have not yet tried the Peterson Elizabethan--look forward to comparing them bowl to bowl sometime in the future when I draw down my "open" selections...
IMG_5231.jpg

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Yep, this stuff is brilliant at a great price. Coincidentally I've just filled a pipe with it for my first bowl of the day. As Embers said, it's a different beast to the modern STG version, but matches the Murray's version very closely. I have a small sample tin of the original Dunhill (pre-Murrays) version which one day I'll get round to trying.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I've tried both at the same time, loading 2 fresh new MM Legends and smoking them both. The Peterson Elizabethian (which was fresh along with the Victorian to keep it fair) I found a little bit better. But not more better than the price difference when dealing in quantities. However, as in all things here, YMMV.

I just cracked open a 2 year old jar of Victorian and compared it to fresh. Fresh is good, I can open a bag that just got delivered and happily puff away on that. But those couple years made a huge difference, it wasn't broken but it got fixed anyways. You're right, OP, it is a great summertime smoke with a glass of ice cold ginger ale. To anyone wondering, grab 2 ounces, one for now and one for a year or so. You'll thank yourself.

Jun 23, 2019
Nothing to compare. The Match was made to mirror the Murray's Elizabethan, not the STG iteration.

One would argue all the more reasons to compare - since they will be considerably different.

- - -

Picked up a 1lb bag of this last year (Nov 2022) on spec -- after buying a tin of Peterson Elizabethan, the price was right! Jarred up the lot and kept a small jar in my "open" drawer to taste. Tried it then and didn't feel any magic... Now, 8 months later, I opened that smaller jar again and first, a beautiful jar note! Sweet and a rich perique fruit scent... I put it in the SMS 6 panel bent meer. DELICIOUS! Others explain it better. Attractive blend, fair moisture, let it dry for 10 minutes then loaded with a fairly firm pack, and when lit, it is completely satisfying on this warm summer day in the shade with a cold pale ale. I'm glad I have more in the cellar! I have not yet tried the Peterson Elizabethan--look forward to comparing them bowl to bowl sometime in the future when I draw down my "open" selections...
View attachment 233988

That said, I find that if you are ordering tobacco online, they tend to benefit from a couple of weeks of travel rest. I'm not exactly sure why it is, just anecdotally I've found that to be true with a lot of blends across producers.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Don't know what the deal was, but bought a half-pound and loved it. Then re-ordered another half-pound and it tasted different from the first time and not in a good way leading me to swear off the stuff. Decided I'd stick to Bayou Morning for my VaPer fix.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Sounds like I’ll be needing to add a few oz to my next order!
I keep ^^^^this sentence^^^^ on a notepad in my computer, so I can just copy and paste it as needed. I can't help but wonder what percentage of my overall post count this one phrase constitutes. I think a bowl of MV would be just right as I ponder this...

All joking aside, I do have a couple ounces of it, along with a sealed tin of Elizabethan that I have no intention of cracking anytime soon. When that time comes, though, I'll be eager to compare the two. I do love that fruity perique note, especially at this time of year.