PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Of late I have been smoking Sutliff Dark Fine Cut in very small pipes that are finicky burners. The tobacco, a dark Va/Bur makes for a long smoke in a small bowl, though I have to take care to keep from getting the burn too hot. The flavor is enjoyable, with a dark fired taste, but not complex or otherwise memorable. The nicotine content is likely on the high side, as it is one of few pipe tobaccos that can give me a hint of buzz. Sutliff lists Dark Fine Cut as a bulk pipe tobacco, but its cut looks more like cigarette tobacco.
I would be interested to hear the opinions of other forum members who have smoked this blend.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I suppose the availability of a Sutliff Menthol Fine Cut is a clue as to the real target audience for this tobacco line.

i did meet a guy who smokes menthol and mint tobaccos in his pipe at the last local pipe event. He was an exchange professor from Italy. I was duped into trying some concoction of his that tasted like a cross between an Altoid mint and lemons, blech!!
I've not tried the Sutliff fine cut, but I have smoked quite a few tins of McClelland's Black Shag from the Sherlock Series. It sounds a lot like what you describe, strong, fine cut, like a Virginia and burley combo with a touch of latakia. On a whim, I tried to roll up a cigarette with it, and it was just too moist. So, I let some dry, and tried again. It didn't make a very good smoke that way.
There are guys who like the shag cuts. There is a local doctor that frequents the B&M that runs all of his tobaccos through a coffee grinder. I tried it, not for me. There is also a McConnel's Pure Caribe that is a shag cut, and it's another VERY STRONG blend.
But, sorry I can't help you with that Sutliff shag. But, I threw in my .02 anyways. Happy smokes :puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Menthol and lemon sounds as appealing as drinking a glass of orange juice after brushing my teeth, if that comparison makes sense.
I have just ordered that shag cut McClelland tobacco. I am anxious to make a comparison.
Here is a picture of the Sutliff Fine Cut. How does it compare to what you have seen?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Update: I have not been smoking Sutliff Dark Fine Cut. Due to some miscommunication between myself and the young clerk at a nearby B&M I have in fact been smoking HH Old Dark Fired (the ready rubbed version) for months without realizing it. Count me among the already large number of ODF fans.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Old dark fired has come to the fore lately in a big way, for example with the new Orlik blend offered first by PC and soon others. I believe it is in the PS coin that I'm smoking and I find it a tasty variation on non-aro burleys and English and Balkan blends.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
...I find it a tasty variation on non-aro burleys and English and Balkan blends.
I agree. It checks nearly all of the boxes on my list of what I want in a tobacco. I have started mixing it with some of my straight burley and Va tobaccos. Sometimes I just put a layer on top of a bowl of a tobacco that has proved difficult to keep lit or burning evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.