PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I’ve only had the first version and it’s closer to an aromatic than anything else. There is almost a cloying sweetness too me and a slight clashing of flavors. I could hardly finish the tin but I’m hoping that the flavoring in my other tin will mellow with age. A lot of people really liked it so I’m probably an anomaly.
I can do a little natural sweetness, but I can't do anything candy-coated. I have a black coffee / neat single malt / lat bomb English kind of palate.

I probably won't chase this one, but good luck out there!

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I got a review tin today, but haven't tried it yet. I'm going through five other blends and three beta blends, too. Hopefully, tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to the review, Jim! I am curious to see how it stacks up to the previous years. I would like to know if you find this blend consistent, or if it's a seasonal treat that differs every year.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Tupelo! Interesting. I wonder how it'll translate to the taste.

Here's hoping for Sun Bear 2024 starring buckwheat honey + burley.

I feel like this could be a tasty combo, but Sun Bear seems to specifically be a Va/Or with a Honey topping - I remember the first batch had Tequila, too (right?) ...not sure if the subsequent releases have it or not.

I don't mind blends being made in a small batch, I just kinda dislike the hubub around getting a hold of some - props to the Laudisi folks for mentioning a 6pm launch ...I'll be starting a solo jazz guitar gig 5 minutes late that day lol

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I feel like this could be a tasty combo, but Sun Bear seems to specifically be a Va/Or with a Honey topping - I remember the first batch had Tequila, too (right?) ...not sure if the subsequent releases have it or not.

It looks like all three have had the tequila and an elderflower liquor or extract to boot.

I won’t be holding my breath for my gnarly buckwheat and burley combo. Doesn’t really fit the “refreshing summertime” aesthetic, does it?

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
They talk about this in the last pipes magazine podcast. Apparently in the first few years the honey was from the C&D gardens bees. The honey was a bit spicy. Then after that they used different honey from bees that fed off of blackberry or blueberries i can’t remember. This year is from a rare honey that feed on a certain trees in Florida.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
They talk about this in the last pipes magazine podcast. Apparently in the first few years the honey was from the C&D gardens bees. The honey was a bit spicy. Then after that they used different honey from bees that fed off of blackberry or blueberries i can’t remember. This year is from a rare honey that feed on a certain trees in Florida.

Thanks for this tidbit - I listen to the podcast fairly often, I will have to catch this episode!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I can do a little natural sweetness, but I can't do anything candy-coated. I have a black coffee / neat single malt / lat bomb English kind of palate.

I probably won't chase this one, but good luck out there!
I have a similar palate (nothing beats black coffee with something like GLP Quiet Nights). Still, need something for this time of year. Been smoking a lot of burley lately, I just can't do English blends in this summer heat we have here (regularly air temp is 92-98°F with humidity north of 45%, making the heat index usually 100-118°F).

Still, set myself an alarm for the SP release so I don't forget. I do like a VA on occasion, never had any of the previous Sun Bear, but I have had and liked Tupelo honey. I was actually interested in last year's blend, but found out about it too late.