PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I am Just a couple months into this (and only 14 bowls). I am trying some non-aro blends for the first time (although I have smoked half and half and Carter Hall... which I guess are not considered aros. I actually quite liked the Half and Half the last time I smoked it.. but I digress).

I was fortunate enough to procure some samples from a fellow member here to help expand my horizons. I have no nicotine dependence or tolerance, for that matter, so have been trying to steer clear of heavy nic. blends. Of the 8 or so tobaccos I've tried, I really have had no nicotine effect (I don't inhale and I use filters).

So, for you experienced folks... any advice on pecking order here? I am inclined to try Prince Albert and SWR first. But given how infrequently I smoke, I'd love to have some idea on how to get started for the balance of these, ideally without making myself sick :) Thanks for any suggestions

Drew

GH: conniston cut plug (I've read that this is very high nicotine, so may defer this for some time)
father dempsey
F&K sterling balkan
comoys no. 4
GL pease: navigator
watch city: simply red
sir walter raleigh
C&D: morleys best
GH red style
prince albert
GL Pease: lagonda
GL Pease: six pence
C&D: chenets cake
C&D: three friars
Yorktown

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Starting with P.A. & SWR seems reasonable.
Of those listed, I'm partial to Navigator, Sixpence & Chenet's Cake, but they are bold, full-bodied smokes.
With the remainder, either I have no experience, or I didn't care for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: bnichols23

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I much prefer Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, to Regular. The Aromatic is burley based, has Virginia as a condiment, and is flavored with three liqueurs. It costs more, in pouch or tub, but I think it is worth it. Be sure to pay attention to the constituent tobaccos in each blend so you will be guided to future blends you might like. Jar the ones you don't, since your tastes will change over time.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I was in a similar position regarding nicotine a couple of months ago. I have some Prince Albert and SWR (regular) and had no issues with either. I've added stronger blends (rated mild up to medium on tobaccoreviews.com) since with no issues. I do not know if my nicotine tolerance has improved, if the amount/strength of nicotine in reviews is overstated, or if nicotine via mouth is more tolerable than via inhaling. (I smoked cigs decades ago.)

I'm not deliberately trying to be a nicotine master, but I do want a wider variety than the weaker tobaccos. I've had some success when I stopped equating pipe tobacco to smoking cigs. Just be sure not to puff like the proverbial train, and certainly do not inhale.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Recognize there are different genres of blends. Virginia, Virginia Perique, Virginia Burley, Virginia Oriental, Burley, Oriental, Balkan, English, etc.. Try one or two from each genre to determine what you like the best. Some people enjoy all of them. Some focus on a given genre or two. The important thing is to smoke what you enjoy. I would recommend you stick with ribbon cut for awhile and make sure it is dried out properly before smoking. Learn to smoke that cut properly before branching out to flakes and plugs. Recognize it is possible if not likely your tastes are going to evolve over time. There are lots of really experienced pipe smokers here. Read through older threads and absorb their wisdom. It will accelerate your learning curve. Most of all, simply enjoy yourself.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Recognize there are different genres of blends. Virginia, Virginia Perique, Virginia Burley, Virginia Oriental, Burley, Oriental, Balkan, English, etc.. Try one or two from each genre to determine what you like the best. Some people enjoy all of them. Some focus on a given genre or two. The important thing is to smoke what you enjoy. I would recommend you stick with ribbon cut for awhile and make sure it is dried out properly before smoking. Learn to smoke that cut properly before branching out to flakes and plugs. Recognize it is possible if not likely your tastes are going to evolve over time. There are lots of really experienced pipe smokers here. Read through older threads and absorb their wisdom. It will accelerate your learning curve. Most of all, simply enjoy yourself.

/applause

Great post.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I was in a similar position regarding nicotine a couple of months ago. I have some Prince Albert and SWR (regular) and had no issues with either. I've added stronger blends (rated mild up to medium on tobaccoreviews.com) since with no issues. I do not know if my nicotine tolerance has improved, if the amount/strength of nicotine in reviews is overstated, or if nicotine via mouth is more tolerable than via inhaling. (I smoked cigs decades ago.)

I'm not deliberately trying to be a nicotine master, but I do want a wider variety than the weaker tobaccos. I've had some success when I stopped equating pipe tobacco to smoking cigs. Just be sure not to puff like the proverbial train, and certainly do not inhale.

I have no history with tobacco at all, and certainly have no inclination or natural reflex to inhale. thanks for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.