PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Greetings,
I have been smoking a variety of tobaccos and have not had the opportunity to try a plug tobacco. I was searching for Peterson's 3P's a minute ago. However, I wanted to post this to see if anyone can suggest a decent plug tobacco.
I am into: Pirate Cake, Aperitif, McClelland's 2015/University Blend, Elizabethan Mixture, and some aromatics.

I am not into: Heavily flavored Cavendish or strong Burleys.
Let me know what you think my first plug should be. Pictures are always welcomed!
Thanks!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Agree with CE. Both are relatively easy to get, especially JKP, and very good. If you want to step out a bit, order some SG FVP and SJP from Synjeco in Europe. When it is available again here, SG Kendall Plug is essentially BBF in Plug form.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I also like Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs and it seems inline with what you asked for (it is a VaPer plug). Pfeifen Huber's Epikur is a nice straight Virginia plug that I've enjoyed. I understand that it is very close to the Samuel Gawith's FVP mentioned above.
Caveat: I'm not as experienced with plugs as others here.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I agree with all the above suggestions. I really love the SG plugs and if you like aromatics you should try from Synjeco some the SG aromatic plugs such as Groosemore and Cannon (which are scented Kendall plugs), RB plug (which is scented FVP plug) or cob plug (which is plug form of 1792).

Whatever you'll choose you'll find plugs very very good, I would say more full bodies and intense in flavor.

One advise, use smaller pipes with plugs as they burn slower and last way longer than ribbon cuts.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Thanks for the suggestions. I will spend this snowy day looking through pipe tobacco reviews to narrow my search.
As Chasing Embers reminded us, the Dunhill blends are long gone but I was able to source a few tins from different places. I just have to get lucky and find one more Nightcap tin and maybe two more Aperitifs for safekeeping.
I will let you know what I decide to try and how it goes.

cjh22

Lurker
Aug 31, 2018
I agree with Crash -- War Horse Bar is probably my favorite plug style tobacco. It most definitely packs a punch, but it's flavors are very good.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I believe Warrior plug is no longer available, I bought as much as I could reasonably afford earlier in the year when I saw it had disappeared from a couple of the shops online and I haven't seen any since.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.