PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I smoke all manner of ropes, flakes and plugs and agree with the earlier suggestions. But I gotta say, the Haunted Bookshop I just finished was no nancy in the nic department. Was gifted to me from my local B&M and my first time trying it. I'm a bit taken aback by the strength, I must say.
Niccups and sweats by the bottom of said bowl had me reaching for the iced water. My gosh, I'm in love. :wink:
Fishguy: totally agreed about the Cotton Boll twist, too. Though I get much better flavour chewing than smoking it.

arvetus

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2018
When hairy chests were in fashion...
They're not? Am I committing a faux pas?
Anywhoo...although I'm still a beginner with the pipe and haven't gotten into the super dark stuff, I am liking the blends like Autumn Evening, PA, Ole Shenandoah, etc. I don't really notice much of a nic hit. I smoked cigars before deciding to try piping and never got one there either. But it took me several years of enjoying beer before I actually drank enough to where I knew I shouldn't be driving, so maybe I don't absorb it in my mouth as heavily as others do. I have heard from dentists that unhealthy gums will absorb the nic quicker than healthy gums. Are y'all brushing your teeth and flossing as you should? :laughat: :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've smoked most genres over the past thirty years, and just get no discernable nic hit from pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like many other members, I've gone on a tour of "strong" blends, and enjoyed 'em. After a while, it just seemed a little one dimensional. I enjoy them, but I don't enjoy them exclusively or even mostly. A good mild blend like Russ' Chestnut or Hoffman's Spilman Mixture can be a great meditative smoke without chiming the nerves at all. My dad was an every day all-day smoker. My mom bought cigarettes and loved to gesture dramatically, but every pack she ever bought went stale. She just didn't have the nic addiction gene, and I think neither do I.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
SG Brown No. 4 is a delicious rope and worthy of consideration for such a list. As are GLP JKP and CD OJK and Bold Kentucky and G&H Brown Sliced.

This is a perfect list by Thomas. I have nothing to add. Ropes are were you want to focus if you want nicotine.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Pipe smoking, at least for me, got more pleasurable when I stopped smoking for the nicotine and went for the flavor. I have a high nicotine tolerance and the blends that really did it for me were C&D blends like Big & Burley, Old Joe Krantz and Billy Budd. I still smoke those blends, but not as frequently as I used to.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Old Joe Krantz has been mentioned and it hits me pretty good sometimes. Only blend I have smoked that has done anything. Been through several of the G&H ropes that did not do much. So many variables.
Dipped for 15 years, Probably 1-2 cans a day for reference.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions I’ll try a couple out!! Based on the feedback maybe I should

Focus more on the enjoyment and less on chasing nicotine!! If I smoke an extra bowl or two

A day then I guess that’s more enjoyment right? And I’m sure as I settle into some blends I like and the list of new ones try

Gets smaller I’ll probably slow down a bit!!

Hoping to reduce the amount I smoke by getting my nicotine in one bowl and then being able to

Stretch it out further then 2 hours between bowls!!

This is like saying that you want to cut back how much you are drinking by switching from wine to tequila, but... seems legit.
H&H Freight Train is a nicotine monster. Tastes like a VaPer, but curb stomps you like gangster.

D&R Picayune... smoke outside, or at least have a bucket handy and a wet towel handy.

Cotton Boll Twist, pure rustica tobacco. Do not drive while smoking this. Do not try to walk around while smoking this. I suggest smoking this at exactly where you want to be spending the next eight hours after smoking, preferably somewhere, where the smell of vomit wont disrupt the household.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Dang Cosmic and Crash, now I will be on the lookout for Cotton Bowl also.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
My logic was if I can get more nicotine from one bowl vs three then I’m smoking less tobacco and saving

Some money to be spent on nicer pipes!!

No need to explain. I like a strong tobacco at bedtime, as it puts me to sleep.

I have blended some latakia with Cotton Boll to smooth it out a little. Adding perique to it did run through my mind... briefly. But, I was afraid that it would just kill me, or at least leave me trapped on the "otherside."

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
This forum needs a like button lol that way we could just hit like instead of trying to reply to individual

Comments! Or I could always learn how to quote comments!! That is if we can from a iPhone as my laptops

Not werking at the moment!!

Status
Not open for further replies.