PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
Thanks all.....at Smoking Pipes, they have a family or genre called "English Aromatic", I think I'll pick an ounce or two of both the non-aromatics and aro English blends to try.

Mar 1, 2014
I you like Aromatics and want to explore English blends, Frog Morton's Cellar by McClelland is pretty much the best thing there is. It's constantly in the top ten best sellers at Smokingpipes.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/tinned/bestsellers.cfm

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Do it right, do it once, go with Rosetta Stone. This is the alternative for your first English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iINyyfDf_xE

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
I just tried Frog Morton Cellar for the first time. Only two bowls so far but I would highly recommend it. Complex and changing during the smoke, stays lit and aroma is fantastic.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Super Value English , it is cheap, a good smoke and if you hate it you are out $4.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My baseline English is Dunhill Standard Mixture. It is a good middle-of-the-road English, low nicotine and high in flavor. You might sample an ounce of Dunhill My Mixture 965 as well which has more nicotine but plays with the English formula. From these, you have context to see what's different about other Englishes.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
The first English that really sang to me was GL Pease Maltese Falcon. There are a lot of GL Pease recs on here, and I think that makes sense. The Latakia blends I've had from Pease have all been balanced and approachable, even for a beginner's palate like mine. I am sure I will pick out more nuance as time goes on, but they all seem to work really well for me.
As for low nicotine, I think you'll be fine if you avoid Burley, Kentucky or Perique. I believe that VAs, most Orientals and Latakia all tend to be moderate or low in nicotine

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Cornell and Diehl Star of the East. It's a great Latakia mixture. Smokes slow and very forgiving. Next try DunHill's Nightcap.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 for Frog Morton's for mild taste & low nicotine (too mild for me). Reasonable starter English's.
Ashton's Artisan's Blend is a complex & flavorful English-ish (has a bit of Perique), but has medium to strong nicotine content. It is reported to have Syrian Latakia, but who knows how much. It is similar to, but richer than Nightcap.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I was gifted with a unopened Frog Morton (on the log) from 2006 last year. Never having tried the tobacco, I wanted to taste it first before popping open a 10yr tin. Froggie is a very good blend. I am sure this tin will be most delicious with a decade of age on it.
As for my suggestions for English blends

GLPease - Charing Cross

Frog Morton (on the Log)

Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader, Skiff

Cornell & Diehl - Star of the East
And for a good Balkan - Black House and Blue Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.