PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
You can find new Neerups close to your upper range and Neerup estates in the $60 to $70 range. But I own a dozen Savinellis and almost as many Stanwells and love them all. I have $40 Stanwell I smoke as often as the few $150 to $200 plus pipes I own. The only pipe I own that I was somewhat disappointed in is a Peterson Tankard.
Pax

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Though I agree Savinelli makes decent pipes at a very reasonable price, I just cannot like their 6mm or 9mm filter system, very few Savinellis is 3mm. Plus in my personal opinion they are not the best looking pipes.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I would probably also recommend Stanwell, I have 5 of them (1 is a nose warmer that I got a good deal on from Pipestud). They all smoke wonderfully, hard to beat for the money. I used to recommend Peterson's, but in my experience, their quality seems to be fading a little. I wouldn't recommend a Peterson right now unless it was an older estate pipe in good condition.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
$108 @ Smoking Pipes.

002-033-23056.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Doc, can you prescribe something for the "bumps"?
Though I agree Savinelli makes decent pipes at a very reasonable price, I just cannot like their 6mm or 9mm filter system, very few Savinellis is 3mm. Plus in my personal opinion they are not the best looking pipes.
I have a 320. I took out the adapter and it improved the smoke with no discernible issue.

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
You got some good advice here. Resisit the urge to buy "basket pipes" and spend a little more on a Savinelli or a Peterson. The chances of getting a good smoking pipe greatly improve by doing this. If you want cheap pipes...I have a bunch of basket pipes that sit in a large tobacco jar and haven't gotten looked at in years.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Perhaps controversially, but I'd say a Peterson System or a Killarney are great choices. I find the 317 and a 69, respectively, to be quite reliable and they were very well priced.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'd just go on ebay and pick up a nice estate, not hard to find and it'll cost you maybe 20$ or less if you keep looking. Plus it's an easy project to clean up.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
A member PM'd me with an offer to sell me a NIB Savinelli at a price too good to pass up, so I took him up on his offer. I keep getting amazed at how awesome the members here are. I've only been here a few weeks and already feel "accepted" into the group and have had multiple members really go out of their way to try and help me on my pipe journey.
I think with the extra money leftover in my pipe budget from the Savinelli I just might order a bag of MM seconds. My current MM cob is simply awesome, and I want to have more of them to rotate/dedicate.
Thanks again for the suggestions, my "wish list" definitely got bigger over the course of this thread :).

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Well my new Savinelli Roma 626 arrived today. It's a fantastic smoker. Cool, dry, smooth. I'm really happy with both the way it smokes and the way it looks. Great pipe. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. Now I see why so many of you suggested Savinelli. I'm a believer :)
I also used the extra money in my budget to pick up an estate chacom on ebay. I posted about it in another thread:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/how-did-i-do
So I'd say I made out pretty well with the budget I had to work with. 2 new pipes for the regular rotation.
Now I just gotta put the PAD away for a little while and focus on the TAD. :)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Glad it worked out for you and congrats on your new pipe. Many happy smokes ahead!
Hmmm...
There should be a guarantee. There should be...
Right on Walt...this is worthy of a plug, ol' boy

http://waltcannoy.com/cardinal-house-pipes-guarantee/
The Gist:

Walt will allow you to return a smoked pipe if you'e unhappy with a Cardinal House pipe 15 days. :worship:
We really need a high five emoji
I have to admit the cardinal pipes are on my radar. But Walt seriously...put the 16mm drill bit in the bin I can't get my mojo on without at least 18mm :twisted:

Also please stock up as the guarantee makes your site a heavily preferred vendor. Oh, and please add some blasts (tan is good) and cumberland rules.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One or two of my Savs are over 40 years old, and I have a number more. I find them well made, good-smoking pipes, durable, traditional in design, and given care, prone to improve over time. I think you will be well satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.