PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
If he's going to only be wearing pasties, be sure to pack plenty of sunscreen, too. It would be a shame to get sunburned on the first day.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
There's a guy I know who's also wiry, with the metabolism of a hummingbird - his normal lunches included a couple of meal-replacement shakes as snacks, since he was also seemingly incapable of gaining weight on a standard caloric budget...

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I'd go with smoothies, a different one each day. Frozen raspberries and mangoes, spinach, flax seeds, coconut oil, soy milk, and protein powder. Yummy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Going back to work in the heat after lunch full of beer sounds like a hardship to me. But hey, some

may thrive.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I worked a lot of welders at Exxon , never seen them have a big Appitete

Yeah I've worked a lot around UA pipeline welders and Boilermakers and they live on cigarettes, chew and water. 8O

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Lots of great advice on here already... I'd definetly add fruit and vegetables - I normally bring an apple (Fuji apples are amazing), an orange (they have those smaller ones that are seedless and peel easy), and baby carrots. The baby carrots are cheap, taste good, and may help keep his eyesight keen for the welding. I also throw in one of those fruit gummy packs - like gummy bears for kids - you can find them with 100% vitamin C and a sugar pick-me-up for the second half of the day has never steered me wrong.
Hydration will be very important. I like the suggestion of iced tea with a smidge of salt to create home made gatorade.
Tough to beat the old tried-and-true peanut butter jelly sandwhich. Protein (peanut butter) + sugar (jelly) + carbs and fiber (good quality bread.) I'd throw at least two of 'em in the igloo and see if two is enough to sustain his energy level.
A good place for fire resistant clothing is WorkingPerson.com . Don't let him use clothes that are synthetic in any way, as they will melt and stick to the skin if a good spark hits em. Cotton is good - this place carries fire protective stuff for welders, military, even firefighters. They also give ya a discount for military service and free shipping. I don't work for that company or anything - just been happily buying gear for several years and have found it all satisfactory, good customer service too.
He's a lucky guy to have someone that cares enough to look into nutritional information and help keep him fed. Plenty of young men survive off of frozen pizza (I know I did!) Good on you, and good luck to both of you.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Clay:
Fix that man of yours a couple of PBJ bricks on quality bread, load him up with multiple portions of almonds - smoked or natural - and, if he likes them, bananas are great high heat food: lots of potassium to avoid cramps from dehydration.
Staying hydrated is still the most crucial goal. Buy the powdered Gatorade. It's a damned sight cheaper than the bottled stuff especially if he's knocking back one to two gallons a day.
He's lucky to have a cut man like you in his corner.
Fnord

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
When I worked on yellow iron my wife would make me two sandwiches ,chips, fruit and candy at the bottom .The big thing with working in the heat is water .Lots of guys will try to drink Gatorade or Country Time Lemonade they all get sour stomach .I put a just enough powder in the 5gallon Gott cooler to give me flavor .When I used to get home I would drink about a half gallon of cranberry juice cut with water 50/50 and take a big swig of Pepto .Be sure and freeze those little candy bars so they wont melt and those little Bananas are loaded with potassium .Oh I almost forgot I used to drink one of those Kerns juice cans at work everyday for a pick me up .One last thing be sure and put enough loose change in the lunch box for a bag of ice or stray soda machine .

Aug 14, 2012
This is a Greek lunch. Sliced cucumber and thin slices of garlic in plain yogurt. Maybe a little black pepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.