PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Are many of us almost only straight Virginia smokers? I was wondering how many of us, and I was wondering if many arrived there after loving a wide variety over a long time.

Never saw it coming, but I’ve stopped my usual rotation of genres. I used to rotate VAs, VaPers, Burley & Burley blends, Cigar blends, Lakelands, and maybe ridiculous - Rum blends. (Quit Lat blends years ago and never fell in love with any Aros except Lakelands) I’ve not made it out of VAs since September and kind of don’t think I will. I’ve tried to go back to other genres several times just to be sooo happy to get back to VAs a bowl or so later.

If you’re a straight VA smoker - did you start that way or become that way over time?

For several years I was, but then my favorite Virginias went down with the McC closing. And, I have found that there are many, many wonderful burleys out there... not those OTC codger crap ones, but real burleys without the aromatic stuff added. Now, I can graze on any genre, and I enjoy the diversity.

I didn't find anything special about being devoted to just one genre anyway.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Are many of us almost only straight Virginia smokers? I was wondering how many of us, and I was wondering if many arrived there after loving a wide variety over a long time.

Never saw it coming, but I’ve stopped my usual rotation of genres. I used to rotate VAs, VaPers, Burley & Burley blends, Cigar blends, Lakelands, and maybe ridiculous - Rum blends. (Quit Lat blends years ago and never fell in love with any Aros except Lakelands) I’ve not made it out of VAs since September and kind of don’t think I will. I’ve tried to go back to other genres several times just to be sooo happy to get back to VAs a bowl or so later.

If you’re a straight VA smoker - did you start that way or become that way over time?

Like you, my rotation has gradually and unintentionally circled in on VAs more and more.

I'm not exclusive -- out of every 10 bowls, maybe 2 will be a VaPer (which is still pretty much VA territory), 1 an aromatic, and 1 a latakia -- but the majority, I just happen to reach for a straight VA.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I started out the typical way, aromatics followed by latakia blends (which I egregiously over-cellared in my fledgling state of ignorance). But for the last couple years at least about 80% of the bowls I smoked are either straight VA or VA/per, which I enjoy equally. I still mix in the occasional burley, cigar leaf, etc. and even more occasionally a latakia blend (typically prefer the lat to be condimental though). But yeah, pretty much solidly in the VA/Vaper camp for years now.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I started out the typical way, aromatics followed by latakia blends (which I egregiously over-cellared in my fledgling state of ignorance). But for the last couple years at least about 80% of the bowls I smoked are either straight VA or VA/per, which I enjoy equally. I still mix in the occasional burley, cigar leaf, etc. and even more occasionally a latakia blend (typically prefer the lat to be condimental though). But yeah, pretty much solidly in the VA/Vaper camp for years now.
Almost identical trajectory, including loading up on Lat bombs.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I started off like most - aros and lats. Quit those and was all over the place with Lakeland and Burley and VA and VaPers, etc. To an extent I still am. But probably 80% or more of my smoking is straight virginias. I still love a good Burley blend and very occasionally, a Lakeland.
I smoke more Orientals now than I used to also.
I could see myself in your position one day. My cellar is almost exclusively Virginia flakes or VA based blends.

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
Started off trying everything, latakia blends were an early favourite. VaPer's became my next favourite, Dunhill Elizabethan was my go-to for many years. Then the Va's entered the ring and I haven't looked back. Peterson's Signature Flake being my all time favourite. I still enjoy Burley's now and then but Virginia's are the bulk of my cellar now.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m really now into pretty much only VAs, or VA forward blends.

But, Holy Crap, I recently had a bad run in with VAs, making the roof of my mouth feel slightly scaled, irritated and throbbing.

I haven’t smoked in 3 weeks so far because of this. I’m going to wait about 3 more weeks.

All I know is, if your mouth is sensitive, be careful with the PH balance of some VAs.

D5FB7E9E-B7AE-49A9-B1B7-0C0FFB186240.gif

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida

But, Holy Crap, I recently had a bad run in with VAs, making the roof of my mouth feel slightly scaled, irritated and throbbing.

I haven’t smoked in 3 weeks so far because of this. I’m going to wait about 3 more weeks.

All I know is, if your mouth is sensitive, be careful with the PH balance of some VAs.

View attachment 200457

I seem to be the opposite of most - as I've progressed over the years, I seem to have settled in to reaching for burley blends 80% of the time, with aros, english and some VA based blends the other 20%.

When it comes to straight VAs, I must have a sensitive mouth. For some reason, they don't seem to agree with me....

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Feel like I took a crash course and ended up really digging straight Va and Oriental blends sans Lat I go back and forth between those two the most. I've cellared wide but not deep on everything including Lakelands but not goopy nor respectable Aro's just not my thing.

Reactions: Coreios

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve always smoked mainly Virginia forward blends, with straight Virginias well-represented. I’ve never liked Latakia, but I’ve always liked aromatics. It’s only been in the past few years that I’ve started smoking burleys in quantity. However, Vas have remained about 70% of my smoking volume, while burleys have taken their market share from my aromatics

Reactions: edger

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville

View attachment 200457
Damn. Good for you. You must have iron will power. I tried going 2 days and simply couldn’t.

Reactions: PipeIT

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I started with American/crossover English blends and ended up balls deep in VA and VA/Pers. I no longer have any desire for Latakia. I recently tried to smoke the very respectable and high quality Arango Balkan Supreme and had to dump the bowl about a quarter of the way through because I simply didn’t like it. Currently smoking Sutliff Elizabethan Match which I MUCH prefer to the original.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

not quite what you're asking but. My favorites are straight Va and straight burly. Or at least my most smoked blends are. And no planning went into that just mainly happened. I think the thing with Va is it kind of hits this very nice sweet spot. Sweet enough to just be nice on a basic level while also being complex enough and having enough nuance to dig into when you feel like it. Sort of a good leaf no matter what mood you're in or even if your smoking mood changes through out the smoke. For example I only smoke oriental mixes when I really want to pay attention to the pipe and not also pay attention to the book I am reading or what the clouds are doing. Va I don't feel like I lose that much if I pay more attention to the clouds or the girls playing soccer, but if I want to get into pipe hermit mode I certainly can.
But at the end of the day we like what we like and despite what hipster tell you there is no accounting for taste.

Reactions: Yadkin1765