Strong Blends, Gentle on the Throat and Sinuses?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
@Skippy B. Coyote: I am not entirely sure what our friends at Pipes and Cigars have been up to with the War Horse blends since we sold out to them over 5 years ago. On the one occasion I smoked W.H Green I was overwhelmed with the feeling that I had just chugged a bottle of anisette without the espresso chaser. It was meant to be a copy of or tribute to Condor Ready Rubbed. Somehow Russ went off on a journey of discovery and created what I have always described as 'the pipe tobacco for Tommy from Goodfella's' or something to be enjoyed after eating a sh*t load of pasta. It will probably suit you down to the ground and providing you don't eat it might possibly be the universal panacea of tobacco you are seeking!

Whelp, I'm sold! I also seem to recall @cosmicfolklore saying something about teeth chattering and hair falling out after smoking War Horse, which sounds like an experience I should probably have at least once. I'm having a heck of a time kicking my two decade long pack-a-day cigarette habit and still find myself reaching for a cigarette after a pipeful of Haunted Bookshop, so maybe War Horse will be just the ticket.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Out of curiosity, is the Green version just as smooth as the Bar? The stronger aromatic top note of the Green sounds intriguing, and reviews seem to indicate that the slightly lower nicotine content of War Horse Green is less likely to put me on the floor than the Bar. 😅
War Horse isn't as strong as it's made out to be. It's robust, don't get me wrong, but it won't knock you on your arse.

As for the green stuff.... I don't care for it. Me and aromatics don't generally get along. Could be a body chemistry thing, so I'm probably not the guy to ask.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
War Horse isn't as strong as it's made out to be. It's robust, don't get me wrong, but it won't knock you on your arse.

As for the green stuff.... I don't care for it. Me and aromatics don't generally get along. Could be a body chemistry thing, so I'm probably not the guy to ask.
I have a high tolerance, it's pretty damn strong....more so than some of the Gawith stuff...and it isn't very smooth IMHO.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Out of curiosity, is the Green version just as smooth as the Bar? The stronger aromatic top note of the Green sounds intriguing, and reviews seem to indicate that the slightly lower nicotine content of War Horse Green is less likely to put me on the floor than the Bar. 😅
You’ll have to try both, as they are different animals. I have a preference for the green.
Neither is an all day nic replenisher for me. As I’m not fond of Latakia, I usually keep Irish Flake, Dark BirdsEye, or 1792DKF on hand as staples every day, and currently use GLP Sixpence and Navigator, University Flake, Dark Flake Aro, or such as things to mix it up.
About 60% of my smokes I like blends that give me the “crap I swallowed some of my Copenhagen” feeling in my core.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Oh, I meant to mention C&D Winchester: red Va with unsweetened Cav makes for a nice, easy going medium strength blend.

I wish I liked traditional burley blends more, I seem to love dark fired strong ones, but not so much the others.

Reactions: Streeper541

BingBong

Lurker
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Agree about Ennerdale, last 1/3 kicks N - prior to my experience of that, I found Peterson University Flake is similarly aromatic and N heavy in the final furlongs - quite surprisingly! I appreciate both.