PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Thanks bullbriar, ive been looking into getting one for a long time. i am a bit of a sword collector or i was havent bought anything in several years personally. My lady got me a new katana at the renaissance fair last year she saw me looking over. Id like to get a razor and give it a go but my income is less disposable and more prioritized now lol being an adult sucks sometimes.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Buy cheap, buy twice. Which can be extended to, if you're going to pay £12+ for a pack of 4 disposable blades, then five times that number for a quality straight razor is an investment.
But, otherwise...

Teach him how to make one. Just grind down a suitably shaped piece of tempered steel. A small knife with a broken off point would be good. Be sure not to heat too much during grinding or it will lose the temper. Then hand sharpen on stones, gradually finer and finer stones. Finish sharpening with a piece of leather. Good education for the lad.

This.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
If you are going to make your own Straight, make sure you use an appropriate steel. Straight razor blades need to hold a keen edge and sharpen/strop easily. My best SR's I made from 1095, w-2 and A-2. I'll chime in with a couple of the others though and throw Dovo out there as a good way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.