PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
So here's a dumb newbie question. When a tobacco is described as "stoved" Virginia, what does that mean exactly? When I hear stoved I tend to think of crushed (as in "stoved in" like a ship's hull...) but I didn't know if 'stoved' in this context meant fire cured or something like that.

Another use for the term is that some tobaccos "stove" really well in the pipe while smoking also. The burning tobaccos above will cook and change the flavor of the tobaccos below as you smoke it. This is why I love tall and narrow pipes, as in chimneys, for some Virginia and VaPer blends. It just makes the flavors change with each puff, giving depth and interest to the smoke, IMO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good to review the terminology. I've read that somewhere before, but I doubt I could have come up with it from memory.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Mostly it darkens the flavor. The grassiness and hay-like notes are largely eliminated.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
"Stoving" That's a good tip. I plan to grow my own Virginia and Burley, next season, and stoving would be easily doable vs. flu curing in a smoke house? Is that correct? If so, I could pick up a used stove for this purpose and keep it out of the house.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My understanding is that stoved leaf is exposed to great heat (steam?) whilst it is under pressure though of course I could be way off the mark.
Jitterbug should know as I believe he grows and processes his own crops.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's a link to a discussion on stoving. The main post is well written and seems fairly authoritative, though I can't vouch for it's accuracy.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/7225-Stoved-Virginia

There are several different methods to stoving, as I understand it. As I was researching methods of flue curing, I discovered that most companies play their cards pretty tight to the chest. This would explain why different Virginias from different companies taste so extremely different. But, I think as far as from re-reading the OP, we answered the question. The tobacco is not crashed, but heat treated in some way to bring out a natural caramelization of the sugars. So that the sweet is not added, but a natural effect of the tobacco and process.

Status
Not open for further replies.