PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Never had perculator coffee but would really like to try sometime. I'm the only coffee drinker here, so I've been using a Keurig with the "fill yourself" cups.
I do some French Press here and there when I want to feel extra fancy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just emptied the basket and washed off my old stove-top percolator, and I thought about this thread,

which has been back in the archives for a while. If anyone is intrigued by the percolator idea, here are

suggestions. Be sure to grind the beans on the percolator setting so they are coarse. I think using finer

ground beans makes the coffee bitter, but a coarse grind will eliminate this almost entirely. Don't use

the standard pre-ground coffee; it is ground too fine, for drip brew coffee makers mostly. I don't like

custom upscale flavored coffee so much. I will just go with the grocery blend, French Roast, if it's offered.

This tends to have a more robust flavor and still be bright tasting. If you are having trouble finding a

stove-top percolator, you can get them through catalogs, something like Vermont Country Store. I find

the small "6-cup" model, that makes about two big trucker's mugs for me, is about right, unless you

are brewing for others too. I enjoy coffee brewed many different ways. I don't have to take my pot along

when I travel. I enjoy sampling espresso, drip brewed, French press, etc. But after all the different coffee,

and all the years, I am always drawn back to the stove-top perc. Even an electric percolator isn't quite the

same. I feel I can taste the difference. The little stove-top pot just makes the best-tasting brew.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Since reading this thread, two months ago, I bought a Farberware stove top peculator. What a difference from the drip coffee I had been drinking for too long. Percked coffee is so much more robust and flavorful, probably due to the oils not being filtered out. I'd forgotten what good coffee is supposed to taste like.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Been using a Chemex for 20 years and nothing compares to the simplicity and taste. I find using the Chemex Unbleached Filters also helps attain a more natural coffee flavor.
Buy organic beans at a local store and grind them there. Can't compare the flavor to mass produced tinned beans that were processed 2 years ago and been sitting in a warehouse for another year.
K-I-S-S
Rich

4noggins.com

Status
Not open for further replies.