Storing cigars and pipe tobacco together.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easydraw

Lurker
Nov 23, 2012
Hello all,
My question is this- Is it a good practice to store your pipe tobacco in your cigar humidor cabnet, as long as your pipe tobacco is either still in its tins or is stored in mason jars and not in baggies? My resone for wanting to do this is to take up extra room in my humidor and to also keep all of my tobacco in one location. (Cigars and pipe tobbacco).

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If you can smell it (pipe tobacco) it isn't a good idea. Tins and jars don't need to be in an enclosure. Cigars will take on any outside odor rather easily in my experience.
Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Humidity isn't a factor with tinned tobacco but overly humid air (like inside a humidor) might cause tins to rust. Not a short term concern but if you plan on aging tins for years (which I highly recommend) it isn't good for tins to be exposed to 70% humidity.
Mike S.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I third (?) the motion NOT to store together. I keep my cigars and pipe tobacco in the same cabinet, but my cigars are humidor'd. Separate but equal. Easydraw, good avatar, love me some LVC.

easydraw

Lurker
Nov 23, 2012
Thanks guys, trying to find an easy way to take up any extra room in my cabnet. Wasn't sure if this was a good practice to try. I have a 400 cigar cabnet, trouble is I like to smoke 1 or 2 a day. Going to just bite the bullet and buy more cigars!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have my cigar humidor stored with my pipe tobacco, but I don't think you can store it the other way around. Cigar humidity is too high for pipe tobacco, which means you risk mold. Cool, dark and dry is best for pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.