PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
A can is durable, light weight, air tight and cheap. All the attributes of a good woman, too.
:worship: Couldn't let this just go by without recognition. Probably the funniest thing I've read in a while.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
We haven't discussed pay as of yet, since they are still learning the language. Most of our conversations go something like:
"Hello! Most pleased to be the acquaintance of your friendliness! My name is Mwzabe! How are you? Perhaps it was nice day today? I must with haste depart to work!"
Charming people, really.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Perhaps they really said:
Lo siento, no voy a trabajar más duro!
No llame a la inmigración, el ano de cerdo!.
Cinco dólares al día es para los campesinos
Por favor, no vender mis hijos, a menos que el precio es bueno ...

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
+1 woodsroad.My wife's family is lds members.I'm not kidding these guys have storage and canning and all that stuff down like a science professor.They are freaks when it comes to saving food and stuff.I'm not a member so i haven't used there services yet.But i will be in due time cuz im a baccy lover.I'll let you know how it goes when they find out I'm canning baccys.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Conlejm:
Start buying and storing now.
In a little over a year and a half of being clued in I've taken my occasional pouches to almost twenty pounds.
Mason jars are the way to go.
Most LDS'ers won't give you the time of day if they discover you're stashing tobacco.
I'll need sixty lbs., at the least, to see me out if I accept the actuarial tables and live into my 80's.
Fnord

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
BTW, my sons just turned twenty one.
On the actuarial charts they're scheduled to hit 120.
But, if you can't produce, what's the point?
Fnord

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
ae1pt, this information on storage just blew my mind :worship:
Thank you!
Now I have to go smoke a pipe, stare at my tobacco, and start drawing up battle plans. Kind of kicking myself for buying the odd box of new mason jars every now and then over the years, when I could have done some research like this and found a more efficient way to store baccy. If I buy baccy in bulk, why not do the same for storage jars...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mason jars are the best for storage of bulk tobaccos. But they only make economic sense if you reuse them.

The cost of tobacco by the tin will be less than paying for the jars to hold bulk tobacco long term.

Keep in mind that if you buy a one pound block of flake and put it in a very large jar (or whatever container), instead of breaking it up into smaller jars, when you do pop open that huge storage container, you will be stuck smoking that flake for however long it takes. I had rather smoke 2oz out of a jar, because that it just the right amount to enjoy before I become completely bored with it. If I cracked open a one pound jar of a blend, it would take me a full year or more, and I would become bored with the blend, and any effects of aging would deteriorate as it sets in an jar that has had the seal broken, making the aging process a complete waste of time and money.
But, second to loosing the effects of aging, to me is getting bored with a blend. Even a "blow your mind" great blend is going to get boring to me if I am not switching between blends to keep that great flavor fresh on the palate. Sometimes I just need to take a break from a blend, and it would be a waste to have a jar (or whatever container) open for a year or more as I try to smoke through it. It would turn even the best flake or blends into shear torture for me.
For this reason, I don't store tobacco in any jar larger than a half pint, sometimes leaving plenty of air in the jar after I've measured out 2oz. If I used any jar larger than that, it would just be a waste.

I also try to avoid 100 gram tins for the same reason. And, GLP's 8 and 16 oz tins get immediately broken down into small jars.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Cortez and Cosmicfolklore, you have both given me food for thought. I may sit and "do the math" on the cost-efficiency of buying a 5lb sack of, say, Mac Baren Old Dark Fired vs buying the equivalent in 100g tins, plus the cost of storage containers. But I suspect that you guys are right on, especially considering the time and effort involved in re-packing the tobacco for long-term storage, ensuring air-tightness, etc. Plus the "boredom factor". Thanks!
What I will start doing is what most of you all probably do: every time I buy some tobacco, buy some extra tins for "the cellar".
All joking aside, Woodsroad's suggestion is most cost-efficient, but ... I have no place to store 100lbs of tobacco, let alone 440lbs of it and the accompanying labor force involved!
And I read somewhere (perhaps on another thread?) that Peckinpahhombre truly does have Over 600lbs of tobbacco on hand.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here's my tactic: I'm buying base whole leaf tobaccos, storing in heavy mylar foil laminate bags. From this I can blend whatever I want, and store the blends in jars. This is half the cost of cellaring even the least expensive bulk blend, and a lot more interesting for me. Ultimately, I'll be growing and processing whatever I need. I'll also continue to build a good stock of tins and bulks that I really like, but not in huge quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.