Stop Eating Bagels.....They Cause Lung Cancer.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't quite get the supposed correlation of pipe smoking and lung cancer.... Few inhale the smoke into the lungs. There could be hundreds of other reasons for causality, if indeed there is any.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What a bunch of crap. Who gives a shit what the University of Texas has to say. They are not Harvard or Yale or any other real school. I can see it now, yahoo's wearing cowboy hats and boots, chuckling how they are going to scare people off of bagels, so people will eat more Texas toast.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Two years from now there will be a study that says bagels are the new power food and everyone should eat them. :?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic rays will get us, every one, if an asteroid doesn't get us first. If you don't believe it, ask a dinosaur. Oops, I think birds ARE dinosaurs, but you get the idea. Ask a bird?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
This study was clearly setup by either the donut companies and/or the cereal/oatmeal companies as they're trying to get people to stop eating bagels and eat more donuts or cereal/oatmeal. I say conspiracy. LOL :mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I had some lox and cream cheese this morning, but with an English muffin. Woulda hadda bagel iffin there were some in the house. Fox news gets a black mark again.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Feel free to check my math, I'd like to know if I messed up somewhere in there!
Macaroon - those numbers line up with the ones I generated on the back of an envelope when I was first looking into pipe smoking myself. The numbers I found immediately all talked about % risk increase, which was the first red flag for me, as a 50% risk increase sounds dire, but 50% of a .04 risk turns out to be pretty negligible... and the actual numbers I eventually pried out of NCI backed that up, as you've demonstrated. The ACS, it should be pointed out, does a pretty crappy job of backing up their claims with actual numbers, preferring risk increase percentages across the board.
Pipe smoking increases the risk of lung cancers by a pretty small actual number, and the increased risks of mouth and esophageal cancers by about the same small actual number, so I tend to abstain from alcohol while smoking and brush my teeth afterwards. And I'm trying to reduce my intact of high-glycemic index foods for health reasons anyway, so it sounds like I'm covered! :D

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
There was a study some time ago saying high school students who ate breakfast were less likely to be tardy and had better grades. The schools started offering breakfast to students but there was no benefit detected. It turned out that students who ate breakfast every morning had parents at home who made sure their kids had breakfast, did their homework and got to school on time.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I was thinking about this again and realized that, while my math seems to check out (thank you phred for the confirmation), my interpretation of one of the numbers was incorrect.
I said, "85% of 6.6% is 5.61%, meaning that if everybody smoked to some degree and smoking were the only cause of lung cancer, about 5.61% of the US population would get it."
In actuality, 5.61% is the proportion of the population, as it is now, that would have lung cancer if smoking were the only cause of the disease. My claim about "if everyone smoked to some degree" was a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.