Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

H

HRPufnstuf

Ten years ago or more, before I learned to sip my stobacco I would frequently get tissue blanching with small fissures where the draw would exit the pipe. I clench so it waas always located at the inside of my molars on the right side of my palate. Would take a week or so to pass with reduced pipe smoking. Felt a bit like dry leather when I ran my tongue over it. Could see it in the mirror as a whitened patch on the top of my mouth. I haven't used a p-lip in 20 years, this was created by hot smoking with a standard bit.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio

Looking at my first P lip. Anyone have experience or thoughts about this temporary condition caused by heat/smoke interacting with tissues of the hard palate?

Seems like a P lip directs the smoke right onto this area of the mouth.
I feel to put to much concentrate heat on the roof of my mouth. I don’t like them.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

Looking at my first P lip. Anyone have experience or thoughts about this temporary condition caused by heat/smoke interacting with tissues of the hard palate?

Seems like a P lip directs the smoke right onto this area of the mouth.
I've never even tried a P-lip, and I get a very mild case of this sometimes. The skin of my hard palate feels smoother than it should, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the info!

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I'm a Peterson collector and I am a P-Lip fan, I smoke mainly P-Lip's but sometimes I smoke Fishtails as I collect Freehands as well. P-Lips come in many styles, slim, wide and thick. Many don't know this, it comes on this forum many times, "I don't like P-Lips" they come in many styles and the majority have only smoked one type.

Reactions: dcon and Sgetz

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Won’t discount what someone actually experiences but I don’t find the “directing” to the roof of my mouth to be all that focused/intense or cause any issues.

Reactions: dcon

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
You do have to get accustomed to P-lips if you are more used to traditional bits, such as the fishtail. I'm not an expert on stomatitis, but based on what you posted, it seems to be caused by heat from excessive smoking. If that is the case, smoking more slowly and perhaps a little less seems to be the appropriate measure; if you smoke like a train, I don't think a different bit will help actually address the real issue.

As for P-lips, it took me time to come around to them. I never outright hated them, but they did feel awkward at first. But as I got used to them (and as my smoking technique improved) I found that I actually preferred them over fishtail bits. I like how they disperse the smoke, and I find I can now clench them more easily than fishtail bits. And I got a handful of great pipes from American artisans (e.g. Boswell, Tinsky, etc.), but my absolute best smokers are my Deluxe Systems.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I have 3 p lips, I don't hate them. But if I had a choice in a pipe, I would take a fish tail over the p lip. They do seem to work as advertised, instead of tongue bite you get palette bite haha.