PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmrogerspdx

Lurker
Dec 7, 2009
I was recently diagnosed with a stomach ulcer and acid reflux. My doctor told me not to smoke since it could make both conditions worse. Does anyone have any experience with either of these and the effects of pipe smoking?

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I have very bad ARD and smoking the pipe only occasionally bother me. Cigarettes on other hand really bother my stomach! Every now and then I get belchy or queezy but mostly just when I smoke strong English blends too fast. Maybe its a nic thing? Hope this helps :)

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I had acid reflux problems when I was younger but haven't really in recent years (unless I eat spicy food, etc.). I don't find that pipe smoking makes it come back but that is just for me. I am not a doctor so please don't listen to me but if it was me I would smoke for a few days and see if it got better or worse. You could also get a second opinion. Sometimes doctors tell you to stop smoking because they are advocates of non-smoking. Which from a health care professional is pretty smart as the health benefits of not smoking outweigh the risks if you really look at it. I don't worry about that though haha.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I agree with Baskerville. No Prilosec, hurting all night. With Prilosec, chilis at dinner dont hurt!

dawk

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2010
I've got he same thing ARD, smoking the English bothers me some but OTC meds do the trick.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
The generic version of Prilosec is Omeprazole.Both are over the counter.Works great for me.Actually better than the Nexium that I used to take.Also my doctor told me to go ahead and smoke my pipe.He sees it as a benefit.Good for my stress level he says.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I have had a Hiatus Hernia for many years and acid reflux is one of the things that go with it. I take one 20mg tablet of Omeprazole ( Prilosec ) a day and it keeps it in check.All the years I have had this condition I have smoked 3 or 4 bowls a day and no affect at all. Keep smoking :puffy:
Tom

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Eat chili peppers to do away with the ulcers.

I used to have them.... started eating at least one fresh jalapeño pepper every day.

No problem.

Ulcers are a virus from what I understand... So, treat the problem... with hot peppers.

:D

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
Actually it can be a bacterial infection and be treated with a course of a couple of antibiotics. There is a test that a MD can do to determine if the ulcer is caused by bacteria and not by acid working on the stomach lining.The bacteria is H Pylori. The antibiotics are administered with proton pump inhibitors like Nexium and Prilosec. PPIs in themselves can sometimes overcome H Pylori bacteria.Other causes of ulcers include NSAIDS(like Motrin or aspirin)and acidic foods like hot peppers! As always consult your MD.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
If you know you have an ulcer dont wait. Get it treated asap!!!
Heres my story...
One night about 2 years ago I was sitting at my computer surfing the web and feeling like a million bucks. It was about 10:00 pm. Suddenly, I started getting a really bad headache that came on quickly as well as just general feeling of "bleh". I ignored it at first thinking "crap, I better not be getting sick." After about 10 mins it was getting worse so I decided to log off and went to lie down.
After laying in bed for a few minutes I knew something wasn't right. My stomach felt like it was the size of a basketball but at the same time felt empty and I was starting to sweat profusely. I got up and nearly blacked out. I made my way into the bathroom and well, to spare you the details, what came out can only be described as a cross between motor oil and blood.
I stood up to clean myself and fell to my knees nearly blacking out. I got back up and thats when I noticed I could hardly breathe. No matter how deep a breathe I tried to take, it was like there was no oxygen in the room. The next thing I remember, I woke up and was laying on the bathroom floor and had thrown up all over the place the same "motor oil and blood" combination. I managed to drag myself to the phone and called 911.
In the span of about 1 hour I went from feeling fine, to being strapped to a gurney in the back of an ambulance on the way to the hospital.
The cause? It turned out that I had an ulcer in my small intestine known as a duodenum ulcer that I knew nothing about. The ulcer in turn was caused by, as docrx pointed out, a bacteria known as Helicobacter Pylori, or H.Pylori.
I'm fine now, but looking back I had warning signs that I never took as signs of an ulcer. They were...
1. Constant burping. I could almost burp on command.
2. A feeling of constant "fullness"
3. Heartburn that would go away whenever I ate something/anything
Ulcers are NOT caused by smoking, stress, or eating spicy foods. Those can aggravate an ulcer and since most people (like me) dont know they have one until they do one of the above, people had always assumed those things caused ulcers. Stomach Acid does NOT cause ulcers either. The two causes known now are the above H.Pylori and certain prescribed medications.
Also, left untreated an ulcer can become cancerous so dont wait, if you can get it treated!!!
Sorry for the long post. :)

countryboy

Lurker
Oct 14, 2017
I was diagnosed with barrette esophagus doc told me to smoke pipe over chew. I dont inhale so i guess it wont bother my esophagus

Status
Not open for further replies.