PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
After smoking certain aromatics, I noticed the rim on my pipe bowls develop this "sticky" residue.
I have tried using various methods most commonly suggested for cleaning charred rims, but none of these seems to work for this residue. Any suggestions?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Are you filling your pipes to overflowing? Otherwise, I can't imagine any sort of goop moving 'uphill' from the bowl to the rim.
Since you said you tried 'various methods', I don't know what worked or didn't work, but a good first step is to try a baby wipe.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
I would say full but not overflowing. I have tried baby wipes, spit shine and just plain old elbow grease but neither seems to work.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Saliva and wipe with a paper towel.
Alternatively, vodka and wipe with a paper towel.
PS: Don't use vodka if you're wiping the rim, rim; you might damage the finish. I use vodka when wiping the portion of the rim that's still inside the bowl: that's where I get the stickiness in my case.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, it's not charring. (That's when the wood is damaged) As smoke passes over the rim, it can leave a residue, esp if the tobacco has a heavy topping including any of the glycols.
I use a Scotchbrite pad, a bit of dish detergent and some elbow grease. After drying, a tiny bit of mineral oil on the rim brings back the glow.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A batch of flushed pipes, rims and stems scrubbed with hot water and detergent, then left to dry.
pipesbefore.jpg

After drying and applying mineral oil to the stems and the rims.
pipesafteroiljpg.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I wet a finger with saliva and wipe the rim clean. I would suggest you put a little less tobacco in your pipe and wipe the rim a couple of times during the smoke. That should solve it.

When they say use a paper towel and some spit, don't expect it to just melt away like butter. They forget to mention some elbow grease too, lots of rubbing. If you use a solvent that just melts it away, you are going to damage the pipe. Rub the hell out of that thing. Just DON'T expect to spit on it and let it run off easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.