PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
If you want to load a pipe and stow it for later, here is an easy, inexpensive way to do it. I save my wine corks, and after about fifteen minutes with my multi tool blade and file, customize them for my pipes. They work great, don't damage the pipe, and you don't have to spend a bunch of money. As you can see, this one is for a budget pipe.

Cool idea. You can also buy bags of corks for the teetotalers amongst us.
In the beginning, I used to take a nickle and some masking tape to hold the coin over the bowl. The masking tape is strong enough to hold the coin, but not strong enough to hurt the finish on the pipe. Now, I just use my pipe pouch or pipe shoulder bag to hold a few tins and a few pipes while out on the go.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I find that loading a couple pipes when I"m Bushhogging it's faster to take a fluffy pipe cleaner, wrap around finger makeing a coil and viola you've got a holder and fluffy for later.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great tips. I have a tendency to put a pipe in my pocket temporarily due to the interruptions I frequently run into . I hate cleaning crumbs of tobacco out of various crevices and this will eliminate a great number of them, as well as keeping it fresh.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been doing this since about the time I started smoking a pipe. Corks work great. I have a few of them now that I cut to fit different pipes. It really comes in handy if you're out and about and have to put the pipe away for a bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tbrad, the coiled pipe cleaner trick, brilliant. I like the cork too, maybe champagne corks with the bulbous top and the flared bottom whittled down to size.
Anyone ever made a toy sailing ship out of a cork cut in half, using a small screw for a keel to keep it upright, toothpicks for masts, and little paper sails? I've made these for various kids who seem to like them, sailed in a shallow dish.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
The cork use is helpful advice. My G sized Radice Billiard gives a long smoke, and a cork would be handy. I save corks, too, from the cheap Australian wine I sometimes get. I've forgotten the brand, just now, but I like their Cabernet Sauvignon. Oh, right, it's Yellow Tail.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I've found that artificial corks hold up better than real cork. Real cork tends to break apart more easily and scorches more. It used to be that only cheap wines used artificial corks, but some very good wines are now using them.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a great inexpensive pipe cap and the natural cork look perfect with the pipe.

Going to have to whittle me up a couple. :puffy:

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I am having a hard time envisioning the coiled pipe cleaner trick. Is it coiled up to be in the shape of a coin when done, or more like a cork screw/spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.