PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured interview on tonight's Pipes Magazine Radio Show is with Steve “PipeStud” Fallon. Steve has one of the most popular consignment-auction businesses for estate pipes and vintage tobaccos that he’s been running since 2006. If you know Steve, you know he’s a big fan of the original Dunhill blend, Royal Yacht. The last time Steve was on the show was in 2020, so we’ll see what’s new with him, and the estate pipes and vintage tobaccos business. At the top of the show, Brian will discuss what to do with the tiny bits of tobacco at the bottom of the tin.

The show airs every Tuesday at 8:00pm eastern US time, and can be found at PipesMagazine.com and all podcast apps.

Steve-Fallon.jpg

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Steve Fallon's managed to have at least two cool careers in his lifetime. Hell, same with Brian, too. Hats off gentlemen. Thanks for the entertaining and informative discussion.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Man, Steve needs to be on the show regularly or have his own show. His thoughts, banter, and voice are all so engaging.

One of the things I found most interesting was Steve’s thoughts on China. I didn’t realize they were producing tobacco at all, let alone at that scale. It would be great to meet and hear more about the pipe smoking culture there.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
One of the things I found most interesting was Steve’s thoughts on China. I didn’t realize they were producing tobacco at all, let alone at that scale. It would be great to meet and hear more about the pipe smoking culture there.

This is something that totally surprised me as well when I started looking into it. Not only does China produce more tobacco than the next six top producing countries combined (source), the state-owned enterprise that does it (China Tobacco Corporation) even beats out Saudi Aramco as the most profitable company in the world.

Even more surprising is that despite the massive scale of tobacco production and consumption in China, there's not a single brand of pipe tobacco. At least, none that I'm aware of. There certainly seem to be some great pipe working there, though.

Maybe a China-based member of our forum can share more. Or maybe that discussion deserves a separate thread.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
If you happen to be coming to the Chicago Pipe and Tobacciana Show next month, there is a panel on Friday evening about this very topic!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
This is something that totally surprised me as well when I started looking into it. Not only does China produce more tobacco than the next six top producing countries combined (source), the state-owned enterprise that does it (China Tobacco Corporation) even beats out Saudi Aramco as the most profitable company in the world.

Even more surprising is that despite the massive scale of tobacco production and consumption in China, there's not a single brand of pipe tobacco. At least, none that I'm aware of. There certainly seem to be some great pipe working there, though.

Maybe a China-based member of our forum can share more. Or maybe that discussion deserves a separate thread.
To this day China is a country where around 80-90% of men smoke, primarily cigarettes

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
To this day China is a country where around 80-90% of men smoke, primarily cigarettes
And apparently consuming nearly 40% of the cigarettes made in the entire world, at that.

I've heard the analysis that during the 20th century in the United States and Europe, all those cigarettes we were smoking and the government price controls for unprocessed leaf that existed at the time over here were propping up the quality of the pipe tobacco we had too. If that's true, then who knows? Perhaps China's present market could produce some excellent pipe tobacco, if only there were demand for it.