PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Anyone around here smoking any Sterling Tobacco blends?

If so, perhaps your experience with Sterling was as positive as mine.

Sterling (in Sterling, Illinois) offers an interesting range of blends and has a website (just search for Sterling Tobacco).

I was intrigued by some of their offerings and decided to try a couple -- BCC and Midnight -- and placed an order. Sterling does business the old-fashioned way: you send them a check for the baccy and the low shipping cost and then they send you the order.

Pipe smokers shouldn't be in a hurry, so this deliberate process appeals to me.

When my order arrived. Sterling included a nice surprise --a sample pouch of Country Club blend (a delightfully tasty aro) and their bargain blend.

Now, that's an effective way to earn customer loyalty.

I've had a few bowls of the BCC and Midnight, and both are quite enjoyable. The BCC is an engaging blend of black cav and Va. flake, a good candidate for a pleasant all-day smoke. The Midnight, an all-black blend, is uncommonly mild yet with enough flavor to make it a satisfying after-dinner smoke.

Of course, I'll continue to patronize my local discount baccy joint, which offers several Lane's blends.

But I plan to try some more Sterling blends. I like the quality of their baccy and I like their style.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Just looked at their site. I may give them a call Monday morning and order up a few ounces to try. Thanks for the tip and information on your experience.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
We've done alot of posting about Sterling and master blender Jack Peterson. Check out what brother Clanobuckin has said. They are a great company to do business with and Jack has whipped up some mighty tasty blends. I smoke 1776 Bostonian and I like Richmond blend which will be my next Sterling order.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Hey, cornguy -- Thanks for posting this. I have been visiting their site and plan to place an order. I'll be very interested in what you have to say about your experience.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I've gotten my free sample, and ordered more. Jack is awesome, super old school, excellent tobacco blender, reasonable prices. Fantastic experience every time.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I love Sterling tobacco. I got 2oz of an amazing blend, Royal English Dock, for just 4 bucks when he introduced it!

He offered it in his newsletter...which I haven't gotten in a while, come to think of it, and I replied. He sent it out, and I got it a week later, with just an invoice! It felt great, to be trusted by a company! Like the good ol' days, way back before I existed.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Agreed Collin, the level of trust, coupled with the quality of his tobacco blends, make for an amazing combination. Royal London docks is also a fantastic blend, I found it burned on the hot side, but with respect it is a fantastic smoke.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Jack Peterson is one of 5 Master Blenders in North America and a

favorite of mine. My choices remain with Richmond Blender's Choice

and 1776 Tavern for heavy English blends. Yes, they are a little pricey

but the quality becomes obvious when you smoke either of them. Jack

doesn't advertise but has built a sizable following by personal recommendations.

These are quality blends and the Customer service is first rate as well.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I just want them to start advertising on here, so they can get the word out on their fine products all over the web! With this site getting the hits it does they would increase their orders ten fold I would believe.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I just want them to start advertising on here, so they can get the word out on their fine products all over the web! With this site getting the hits it does they would increase their orders ten fold I would believe.
I just emailed Jack that quote and asked if he would like to discuss it.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Dang it i should have trademarked it quicker! On the real side of things, I would be intrested in the amount of increased traffic your product (this great site) does increase sales for our advertisers. I do understand the info is kinda on the secret so I do not expect any numbers. I just hope we as a group uses them for some of our purchasing needs.
Now where are those cats Carol owns. :twisted:

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I have a size-able order (chairman) enroute. Will probably order another pound next month.....just for safety.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Forsooth, my Sterling experience has been, well, absolutely sterling.

The blends I ordered were based solely on the description on the website, and they're both very good smokes. (I'm relaxing with a bowl of Midnight as we speak.)

The sample pouch -- it was unsolicited -- of Country Club is a real treat. I'll be ordering more of it, for sure. And my next order might also include Double Eagle and Sweet Briar.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I have raved so much about Sterling Tobaccos/1776 that I feel everybody is tired me raving about Jack Peterson Blends. But he is a gem of a guy an his tobaccos are so unique, complex tasty - that if you love pipe tobacco he has got something for everybody. Right now I have been enjoying the following blends - Tahiti, Country Store, and Milionaire's. Millionaire's is an interesting blend that is extremely rich and has a fermented taste that is delicious. I haven't tried Midnight - will have to look into that one later.
I am hoping Jack Peterson gets lots of biz from new tobacco review site - he deserves a try.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I have a pouch of his Richmond blend that I got in a sampler a while back. Its pretty tasty, if I do say so myself. A little on the hot side, but its a good blend in its own respect.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Clanobucklin, I for one am very glad you raved about Sterling.

As I recall, it was one of your posts that prompted me to visit their website.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.