PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
JP, I understand your point. Really I do.
But the reality is this merchant is a poor businessman. One has to factor in cost when offering free samples. To renege on a free sample offer is horrible business. Just terrible. He should have sucked it up, honored existing requests, and allowed the free sample offer to 'expire'. By nickel and diming potential customers, he is hurting himself in a crowded field. In other words, he is being pennywise and pound foolish. We won't help the hobby by supporting poor businessmen, most of whom will eventually fail for one reason or another, due to their tin ear and poor business sense. Rather, we support the hobby by patronizing businesses that are sustainable and intelligently managed.
Edit to add: Why are you so personally angry about this?

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I would be glad to pay the shipping for some samples. I have always wanted to try american drug store blends like half and half, captain black, prince albert etc. Tobacco is so expensive here and there is only about 3 choices and it seems none of the samples ever ship to Australia.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Did not intend for it to seem that way, just think its bad business
No sweat Redbeard... personally I think its such a small matter that I wouldnt have made a thread about it, I would have just "moved on" as jp stated... but I do understand your point of view on this and if you want to rant... go ahead, if someone doesnt agree with you then they should make their point and "move on as well" :D

Dec 24, 2012
It clearly is bad business. As someone who is a part owner of a business, if I make an offer then I follow through. In any event, chock this one up to lessons learned. I doubt this guy will be in business much longer if that's the way he conducts himself.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Understood captain, just rubbed me the wrong way and didn't think it would be such a big deal. Guess I learned my lesson about posting what's on my mind 8O

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I hear your mikephillips. We had a spirited debate I believe the other day about customer service. I enjoyed it, because it was an excellent and adult discussion. :puffpipe:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Slightly off-topic, but...
A free sample is not an act of goodwill on the part of the blender. It's an advertising ploy to drum up business - and an effective one if you have something worth buying. As always, it takes money to make money.
But make no mistake about it, it's a business decision—no different than when a company spends $100,000 on a TV ad. It's done all in the hopes of getting your business.
However, when a company spends that money to gain a customer, and then only achieves a single transaction due to poor customer service, then they've just flushed that opportunity down the drain. Incredibly I see this happen time and time again.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Do I sound angry 8) If this guy (who's tobacco I've never tried) suddenly feels the need to ask for shipping, he's taking a calculated risk, and frankly, it's not bad business - piss of the cheapskates,or increase prices on the paying customers. Kind of a no brainer. That free sample thing has been going for a looong time, long enough for him to know if it's worth it or not.
More importantly (to me), and kind of off topic, I suppose, we're talking about pipes and tobacco. By all accounts, not a cheap hobby, regardless of your preferences. If you'll get pissed off about paying for shipping, you'll have a tough road ahoe.
If this guy is doing things wrong, he'll be out of business soon enough, saving future moochers the pain of shipping costs.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Besides, the tobacco is free, what is wrong with paying the postage?
Good point roth - the only issue to me is if he changed the rules after getting ones personal info. This may have just been a bad decision on his part to make the offer in the first place and is now having second thoughts, which is understandable - but if so, I would expect an apology.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I think the OP's original problem was that it was not indicated in anyway that there was shipping and was irked that he received a response quite some time later now saying that shipping charges were involved. I can understand being irritated by that.
I do agree, with shipping, it's still not a bad deal to try a few good samples. I'm a fan of the 1776 Tavern myself!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I can tell you that is not how he interpreted it in the past. I believe his sample shipping has been free in the past. I say this, because mine were free. Now, if he wants to change that policy in the future, not a problem at all.
EDIT: I should say that is not how it appears he interpreted it in the past.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
The question is now begging to asked - Redbeard, is this the offer you responded to?

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Yes that isn't the same offer, it was changed recently. I beleive that the offer before was only for one pouch, not sure. Many people here have received this offer already, it's how I found it. It has been around for quite a while.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
That doesn't actually appear to be the same as the offer he has/had for samples. That's a good offer though. It does appear to me though that the third pouch is free and then the ENTIRE order ships for free in that situation, but I don't know if that is the deal the OP is referring to. This may be what he has devised to keep from shipping out so many free samples. Maybe it turned out to not be cost effective. I'm sure a lot of people got free samples and didn't order anything later.

Status
Not open for further replies.