PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I received an e-mail from Sterling's again last week, offering the 3, 1 ounce samples for postage/shipping. I ordered Country Store Natural, Briar Creek Natural and White Tail Natural. They arrived today and smell simply awesome. Also ordered 100 tapered and 80 bristle pipe cleaners, bottle of pipe sweetener and 2oz of Coachman's tobacco. All this for $34.24, shipping included to Nova Scotia, Canada. Now that is what I call a deal!
I encourage everyone to take Sterling's up on this deal, and also order a bit more to make it worthwhile for him to make these great offers.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have enjoyed their tobacco. Here is the website.
http://www.sterlingtobaccoco.com/1776.html

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Sounds like a good deal. I have heard nothing but good things about Jack and his blends. I know he is not going to change his ways so for me I would rather just use my credit card/paypal or simply email my order to Peretti's than cut someone a cheque. His choice I respect that but its not for me.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Here I was all excited until I realized what you're talking about - "Wait, I have to hand-write a check and mail it to them?" Now that may have worked back 20 years ago, but today?!
Addendum to that comment - knowing what I know about credit card processing fees, and online merchant services I can understand why someone might want to avoid that and may want to keep those fees in their pockets and/or pass along the savings to the customer. That said, the world has changed, expectations have changed. We're no longer a mail-order catalog type of society. We're an Amazon Prime - order it get it next day type of people.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I managed to quickly add up an $80-something order, then I saw that he didn't take PayPal or plastic. Hell, I'm not even sure where my personal check book is anymore, I never use it. Oh well, his loss.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Jacks a good fella and makes some fine blends. Its not like he has requested a credit check and work history.he just doesnt take visa or paypal. Have none of you been to a farmers market? He has a simple buisness and wants

to keep it that way. I feel like im talkin to divorced and bitter women...whats next ? Are you going to call the city and complain about jacks lemonade stand too because he didnt use fair trade lemons?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I hear ya tanless. I'm as old school as they come. But it's kinda hard to have an on-line shop and not take PayPal or credit cards. Heck I take PayPal for hatching eggs...

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have bought from him before, so my order arrived along with the billing statement and an envelope. Not a big deal to me to take 5 minutes to write a cheque and mail it.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I feel like im talkin to divorced and bitter women...whats next ?
Get real Tanless1 I just indicated it's not for me. Thanks for update nsfisher unfortunately I don't have proper use of my hands so writing a cheque is difficult for me.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bad analogy, tanless.
A farmer's market is a face-to-face transaction and cash is the coin of the realm. Online selling demands online payment, and cash just doesn't work there.
I'm self-employed as a commercial/editorial photographer, and even in that business I haven't been a offered cash payment in over 20 years. I'd take cash, but I also make sure to offer my clients the easiest and fastest methods for them to pay me. Why? It's not to please them, per se, it's because I want to stay in business and be paid promptly.
All that said, I printed out my order for Sterling, and if I ever find one of my checkbooks, I'll write one out in his name. It will probably be check number 005.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My online banking will send a check anywhere I want it to go, without the cost of a stamp. I just set up a vendor, like gas, electric, phone, visa, etc. If the vendor is set up for electronic transfer, they send the funds that way. Otherwise they mail a check. Seriously guys, ask your bank if they have this service. If they don't, contact my employer:
https://www.bmoharris.com US
or
http://www.bmo.com/home Canada.
Sorry Mods, if this breaks rules. But EVERY bank needs to have this service to stay in business.
Winton

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Very cool, Winton, I have to have this.

I'm with a very small bank that will do electronic funds transfer, but not the checks. Their customer service is without equal, though, so I stay with them.

The check service is worth opening another account at a different bank.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Take the time to reread your earlier post's and even you will recognize the tone of a hen pecker.

Ive also been seeing this same tone being

Used in matters regarding pipes and cigars...

I wont buy from them,they lost my business....russ russ russ.

We are fortunate to have his participation also....how about we just exercise a little more tact in how we address...lets just save the harsher tones till they are more appropriate. Thats all im saying.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@winton good point, I always forget about bank service that I have.
Too true and a bit sad, IMO. Sometimes patience and vendors being "old school," especially in our hobby, is a very good thing.

I agree Roth - the age of patience and waiting for something had left us.
I did a phone order a week ago with Straus Tobacco because they don't have an online presence and I felt like that was soooo old school. That is until I came across this lol.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Nothing personal, tanless.

Some people have had experiences different from your own. I'm just saying what works and what doesn't, for me.

No need for the ad hominem.

Status
Not open for further replies.