Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
I gather from shopping for a replacement stem that you have to bend them yourself? That sounds like an exercise beyond my pay grade. Is that something that is easily messed up?
Also, where exactly do I measure to get the diameter I need?
Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You could always have one made for the pipe. Our own George Dibos "georged", or Walker Briar Repair can help you out.

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
It's great to know I can get a custom stem made. I don't have anything invested in this estate pipe but found its shape interesting and it's an "older" pipe which I tend to prefer. The stem is an odd piece of the pipe. It has what looks like an acrylic horseshoe shaped saddle. The problem is, there is a chip missing from the bottom of the button. I really didn't think a stem of this nature could be reproduced. But at what cost I wonder. Here is a pic of what I have before me.
DiMonte2_zpsractl1pu.jpg

DiMonte1_zpsznymakhh.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's great to know I can get a custom stem made. I don't have anything invested in this estate pipe but found its shape interesting and it's an "older" pipe which I tend to prefer. The stem is an odd piece of the pipe. It has what looks like an acrylic horseshoe shaped saddle. The problem is, there is a chip missing from the bottom of the button. I really didn't think a stem of this nature could be reproduced. But at what cost I wonder.
No problem to make, it would just take a bit longer than average.
Your best bet if you have nothing in the pipe and there's little collector value is a "patch" to the bite zone/button area. A number of restoration guys do such repairs routinely at low cost. (I categorically don't mess with patches because they are a crap shoot reliability-wise.)

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
Thank you for your quick reply. I will certainly have another project more worth saving. Because of the misrepresented chip, the seller refunded my money and told me to keep the pipe. I want to do the right thing by this pipe but on a budget. I have a few options to consider now, thanks to your kind response.
Edit:

If anyone reads this who does stem patching, please PM me. If you know someone I can PM, I would be much obliged.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Learning to do it yourself is a must-do if you may do it from time to time. Otherwise, it's not an expensive job for a pipe repair person. They may take some time to get to the work, but after that's, it's a quick job. Replacement stems seem to result in a big step down in price on estate pipes, but if you're keeping the pipe, I doubt they decrease the smoking at all if done right. If you can tolerate a replacement stem, it can reduce the price of an expensive pipe a lot. (Off the posted subject, but still about replacement stems.)

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
Thanks Pagan and coyote for the link. I had actually emailed him last night to see what he can do and what the next steps are. I'd really prefer a repair to keep the ornateness of the pipe but when it's all said and done, it will still be a smoker. I don't plan on selling it so I will listen to what the repair expert recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.