PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
20201014_135547.jpg
I want to say this happened because it got left in the sunlight for too long, but I'm not too sure.

I've seen people suggest leaving the stem in oxiclean and buffing the hell out of it, but I'm not so sure. What do you guys reccomend?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
View attachment 46784
I want to say this happened because it got left in the sunlight for too long, but I'm not too sure.

I've seen people suggest leaving the stem in oxiclean and buffing the hell out of it, but I'm not so sure. What do you guys reccomend?
You'll find lots of info here and elsewhere re stem maintenance. I won't belabor it. I have to admit I am way too anal about oxidized or mouth stained vulcanite. It bugs the crap out of me and I don't like the look, even a little. I like nylon ,acrylic or plastic in every case. Falcons and cobs and Carey's for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Rub it with a very light coat of mineral and see how you like it. If OK, you've saved hours of work.

This one looks pretty bad, though, and mineral oil cannot make badly oxidized stems look o.k..

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I just today used the magic eraser method. Worked great. Left a matte finish so needed to polish it up with micro mesh pads and then shine with some obsidian oil.

Here are details on quite a few methods.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
View attachment 46784

Me personally I love oxidation the same way I love couches that have been used as a scratching post. Reminds me of things I love.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What's the order of operations for that toothpaste one?
  1. Put on toothpaste.
  2. Rub it for an hour.
  3. Realize it will take too damned long.
  4. Try the magic eraser method.
Wave the tip of a butane lighter flame across the stem's surface, working in short lengths. When the surface just begins to blacken, rub it with a with the paper towel. Multiple passes are sometimes necessary but you end up with a matte black stem. Next, apply a tiny drop of toothpaste to the end of your finger and wipe it evenly across the entire surface of the stem excluding the tenon. Allow the toothpaste to dry 15-30 minutes and thumb buff the stem with a clean, dry thumb until the toothpaste residue is removed. If you're new to restorations, I would go with the Magic Eraser, but if you have experience shaping stems with a flame or are just adventurous, give it a go.

I had a video of that one, but it got flagged on YouTube for tobacco content.

First learned of it here.

Reactions: Gecko and Casual

thomk64

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
Oakville, CT USA
Howya ? probably a noob question but...is the oxidation intrinsically damaging to the stem material. I have a light foxing of oxidation on my mid 60's leather wrapped Longchamp but the colour of the oxidation actually compliment 's the colour of the leather making the pipe look brilliant...IMO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't speak with much experience since most of my Vulcanite stems have stayed somewhat oxidation free. I did have one gift pipe with an old Vulcanite stem I could polish shiny after a smoke, but it oxidized again in about an hour, so eventually I had it replaced with an acrylic stem. Also it was a P-lip and I prefer a fishtail, and a new tortoise shell stem looks much better than the black oxidized Vulcanite.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Howya ? probably a noob question but...is the oxidation intrinsically damaging to the stem material. I have a light foxing of oxidation on my mid 60's leather wrapped Longchamp but the colour of the oxidation actually compliment 's the colour of the leather making the pipe look brilliant...IMO.
I'll say the same thing people said to me. There is a point where it starts adding a bitter flavor to the smoke. And once you get that you'll understand why people don't like it. I don't think it's just the oxidization but maybe something that gets trapped in it or something. Because it doesn't develop as much as just show up at some point. And it's bad enough if you couldn't fix it yourself you would end up buying a brand new stem. If it's not bothering you then it hasn't really happened because well it changed my mind about it being no big deal pretty quickly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
fun fact is oxygen does the same thing to the body. It's carcinogenic. But we kind of need it to survive and have cellular energy. Now that we're on the subject of things that are bad for you and essential for survival that small star we're close to that we see every darn day is also trying to kill us all.
Where did that come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.