PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
As I've mentioned elsewhere I took delivery of my new pipe today, and have only just had chance to give it a good look over. I find that on full inspection the stem base is not perfectly aligned with the shank, meaning that half its circumference is proud of the shank (probably by about .5mm). Hardly noticeable until you look closely, but definitely something that can be felt.
Now this pipe cost me a measly £10, but I would like to ask if I have grounds for notifying the seller, or is this typical of budget pipes and something I should just be accepting?
tumblr_pl9078ifJz1w9drs0o1_500.png

tumblr_pl9078ifJz1w9drs0o2_500.png

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
At a tenner you are going to get a garbage pipe if it's being sold as new unless it's cob. That is a messed up fitment, and if you can get the seller to take it back I would.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
That is a messed up fitment, and if you can get the seller to take it back I would.
After seeing those images (far better than I could see with my own eyes) I decided it wasn't acceptable. I've emailed the company with the images, so it's just a waiting game now.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
As a new pipe that is unacceptable. However for the price you paid for it I would be impressed and surprised if the maker stood behind it. Good luck. :)

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
It's hard to see the big picture from the photos, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen similar photos on eBay which were of stems rotated 180 degrees.
I just sent a brand spanking new $500+ silver-banded White Spot pipe back due to a mouthpiece which didn't properly mate-up with the shank. They're taking care of me, but yep, sh*t happens.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
rhodesian4-600x327.jpg

I have this rhodesian "basket pipe" that is a great smoker and I really like it. The stem and shank are misaligned unless I rotate the stem 180 degrees, then they align perfectly. Not a problem for me.

Now this pipe cost me a measly £10

If you can return it without having to pay for the return shipping, then yes, I'd return it. If you have to pay for return shipping, it might not be worth it.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
The stem and shank are misaligned unless I rotate the stem 180 degrees, then they align perfectly. Not a problem for me.
Well, clearly, with a bent pipe that's not an option.
If you can return it without having to pay for the return shipping, then yes, I'd return it. If you have to pay for return shipping, it might not be worth it.
Yes, these are my thoughts exactly. If they want it back they'll either have to collect or send me a pre-paid means of return.
I just sent a brand spanking new $500+ silver-banded White Spot pipe back due to a mouthpiece which didn't properly mate-up with the shank. They're taking care of me, but yep, sh*t happens.
That makes me feel slightly better (not at your misfortune, you understand) but if it can happen to a $500 pipe, then there you go.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
“ Well, clearly, with a bent pipe that's not an option. “
Do you have to smoke it with the bowl up ? ;)
Anyway, I hope it all works out for you

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Do you have to smoke it with the bowl up ? ;)
Well, call me a traditionalist, but yeah :D
And thanks. They make a big thing about customer care on their website, so here’s hoping.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
At £10 one shouldn't have any expectations of anything. Figuring mark up and all, maybe this thing has about $6 cost in it, so people working for about 50¢ an hour aren't likely to give a crap how well the parts line up.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
At £10 one shouldn't have any expectations of anything. Figuring mark up and all, maybe this thing has about $6 cost in it, so people working for about 50¢ an hour aren't likely to give a crap how well the parts line up.
While this may be true, it doesn’t make it right. Quality inspection should have caught this misalignment. Okay it was only a tenner, but they big up their quality control and that should apply to their budget pipes. No?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While this may be true, it doesn’t make it right. Quality inspection should have caught this misalignment. Okay it was only a tenner, but they big up their quality control and that should apply to their budget pipes. No?
When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true. I do believe that claims should be met, and that you certainly have grounds to get a cost free refund if those claims are not met. That said, it's not reasonable to believe that there's much, if any, budget for quality control on super cheapo items.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I’ve always had an issue with things for which I can not justify the price. It was my upbringing - an overly strict father when it came to money, who preached the value of it all the time. This meant no frivolous spending, and treating oneself was out of the question. Lack of funds is why I’ve had to buy such a cheap pipe, but even if I won millions on the lottery I couldn’t justify a three-figure price tag for a pipe. Now that’s not to say I don’t think any pipe is worth that kind of money - I’ve watched the labour, love and care that goes into the making of a hand-made pipe, it’s just that I can’t justify the price to myself.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Just a quick follow-up for those interested. I was emailed today in response to this, to let me know a replacement had been sent out, along with a pre-paid envelope for returning the faulty one.
They did explain that QC on the budget pipes was not as thorough as it might be. Understandable to a certain degree, but I must say I don't agree with the principle of 'not caring' because it's only a cheap pipe.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
So are you looking at estates now?
This is just about my only realistic chance of picking up a half-decent pipe. I've been on the look out since it was suggested when I first joined here, but the UK charity shops are not the same as US thrift stores, and although a couple have said they do occasionally get pipes in, I've so far had no luck.
All's not lost on that front. There's always ebay, and there's a guy who runs a junk stall at my local market who says he often picks pipes up. What they're like is anyone's guess, but I know from the price of his other items that he'll want next to nothing for them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When possible, for low-price pipes, buy brands known for reasonable quality, or buy them in person so you can select among the pipes available or reject them altogether. Inexpensive items like ballpoint pens and can openers can be put together so the pieces fit, and so can inexpensive pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.