PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Used to sit in kitchen of a very successful steak house, drink beer and bullshit the cook, very lovely woman, their secret was clarified butter, no seasoning , seared it in small black iron pan, then put it in high temp oven. Then when done you season, good steak don't need much.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
It's 9:00am and this thread is already making my hungry.
Lowry's steak and chop or Classic Steakhouse marinade for a day or an hour basically however much time I have. A couple shakes of liquid smoke and a little pepper and Italian seasoning.
I use a gas grill. (Gasp!). I cooked meat over open hardwood fire or Kingsford for two decades. I'm older now and lazier than in my younger days. The liquid smoke adds just enough smokey flavor and honestly I can't tell a difference.
High heat for few minutes 1st side.

Flip for a few minutes to 2nd side.

Done -Medium rare.

Yum.
Onions and mushrooms and a baked Idaho potato on the side.
I buy my beef and chicken from a local farm. Nothing beats Ohio grown cattle that eat high quality feed and plenty of green grass. I was done with grocery store meat a while ago.
Enjoy your steaks this weekend everyone!

For my birthday last year, my girlfriend too me to a swank little place downtown, and I had my first cask aged steak. It was burned on the outside and still very red on the inside. It was a plate full of foodgasm. Unreal! But, yeh, it was like $150 a plate also. A luxurious treat that I may not ever get again.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Let me state that I like it med to where its pink but not bloody. Now my dad on the other hand is like just warm it up. I swear sometimes I see his steak jump. I saw a show on discovery Channel where they had some aged meat and from a certain cow in japan where they feed it beer! The price was way up there too like what you two described but I would love to splurge and get me one. I think I will put that on my bucket list.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
My steaks are venison instead of beef, we take the back strap and cut it extra thick then butterfly it to make a wider reasonably thick steak. I use a touch of seasoned salt and coarse ground pepper and grill to medium/medium-rare.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
+1 on the cast iron. I have a 50+ year old Griswold (they no longer make cast iron pans with a smooth inside) which is why I never use my Lodge anymore. Work that sucker up to high heat and toss in the steak. Of course when I do a steak in the pan I have to turn off all the smoke alarms and open up the windows, but it's worth it. Other than that I make a Cabernet wine and butter sauce with thinly sliced sauteed sweet pepper to pour over the steak when its finished.
I saw a show on discovery Channel where they had some aged meat and from a certain cow in japan where they feed it beer!
That would be Kobe beef.

Dec 24, 2012
rsu, Vegas has some fantastic steak joints. You are very lucky. Actually, the whole culinary scene in Vegas is incredible. I had a sushi meal the last time I was in Vegas that I still dream about.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
+1 on the Whitetail Deer and Elk. I was lucky enough to enjoy some fresh Montana Elk while I was out there in the USAF. Man that was 20 years ago and I can still remember how good it was.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Ah you can't barbaque steak, waste of good meat. Got to cook it in olive oil (though I cook everything in olive oil) and season with only salt and pepper and thyme. Then show it the pan and cook till it's still cold and wobbly in the middle.
Can't be doing it with a well cooked steak, it's like boot leather. Or steak seasoned with anything but that above, especially those hideous artificial smokes and other such things. Waste of good beef.

Dec 24, 2012
anglesey - are you guys still concerned about Mad Cow disease over there. It was a big issue when I lived there in the late 90s. In Canada I have seen several mildly perturbed cows, but so far not a mad one.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Not any more, I believe the abbatoirs are obsessed with hygiene and meat importers with tracability. Mad cow disease hit the UK hard (I dont think North America will let us export red meat there still), and foot and mouth a decade or so later.
The latest food scandal to hit the UK was horse meat being substituted and sold as beef in microwave meals. Much more trivial than Mad Cow, but still a bit shady!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Anybody here had a dry aged steak? I've known about them for a long time but have yet to try one.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I like my steaks grilled. Coarse Kosher Salt and fresh ground black pepper. I like thick steaks of 2"+, and I cook Ribeye and Fillet's mostly. I don't use gas... ever. Lump charcoal only.
1) Steak should be room temp.

2) Sear steaks over high heat, 2.5-3 min a side

3) Move steaks to indirect heat and cook until med rare (135 degrees). 5-10 min depending on thickness.

4) Biggest tip to a juicy yummy steak... NEVER FLIP YOUR STEAK MORE THAN ONCE!
Bon Appétit! :puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
Trailboss - I had always been taught to never use a fork and to always use tongs for the reasons you indicate. I still do that, but recently I was watching America's Test Kitchen - a show and magazine where they employ scientific principles in the kitchen. They found - much to my surprise - that it didn't matter whether they used s fork during cooking or tongs. The moisture content was the same in both cases. They did find that after the meat is taken off the heat source and is in resting mode that any piercing of the meat would cause a loss of internal moisture, but not while the meat was being cooked.
Here is the report:
Poking Meat While Cooking
While on the subject of meat, is it true that poking meat with a fork or thermometer during cooking will allow precious juices to escape?
To put this theory to the test, Kimball’s team cooked two sets of five steaks to medium rare and jabbed only one set with a fork.
The result? Both sets of steaks lost exactly the same amount of moisture -- 19.6 percent of their weight.
Why? Meat is like a wet sponge. The moisture is held tightly by the meat fibers and poking a steak will not open up a river of juices just like poking a sponge with a sharp knife will not release a stream of water, he said.
In any event, I still use tongs. Old habits die hard,

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Anybody here had a dry aged steak?
Once, many years ago.

I knew the owner and he showed me to the backroom where they were kept. Believe me, if you saw what they look like you wouldn't want to eat it, but the taste is simply amazing.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
If you want a real foodgasm, try venison tenderloins smoked over apple wood. Fantastic. Just make sure when you butcher the deer that you pull the fascia off of the meat before it dries, this helps reduce the gameyness.

Status
Not open for further replies.