PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Title edited for caps, but what the hell? This sounds very unwise, potentially fatal. Please check with M.D.

I'm on day 3 of a water only fast. Anybody else go through fasting?
I'm aiming for 30-40 Days. So far so good!

Last edited by a moderator:

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
You wrote 30 to 40 days water only? Did you mean 3 to 4 days? I've done 72 hours myself and fast regularly for 48 hours. I would not deliberately go more than 72 hours without food unless under medical advice and care. Do you have a serious medical condition you are trying to fix? I believe you put yourself at risk for permanent health issues with your heart like arythmias, blood pressure issues, enlarged heart, loss of muscle mass, immune system issues, digestive issues. Check out Netflix series Unwell. Be careful.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
wait a water fast? Firstly I thought you were announcing your head first dive into alcoholism in a creative way (no more water for this guy type thing). But are you not eating food or are you not drinking any beverage but water? And are we talking about full fast nothing all day and night? Or are we talking while the sun is out? Either way going to an extreme point like more then a few days or a week I would say consult a doctor during the process. Things can go really bad really fast if you go to an extreme like 30 or 40 days. Also fun fact doing an extreme fast will wreck your metabolic processes. Your systems don't know if you are legit starving (food shortages nothing to eat) or just not eating, the result is after you finish your body will do everything it can to store the calories which translates as make it into fat. Fun fact breaking a fast is important to know what you are doing. If you do a few days you can feel super terrible if you do it wrong. If you do an extreme fast you can kill yourself by breaking the fast incorrectly.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I did a 60 hour fast. To celebrate, I smoked my pipe. I can't really recommend doing that. The head rush wasn't pleasant.
I've done a few of those and I never once thought of smoking a pipe until after enjoying the first full meal food coma. Now that is great. The amount of pleasure you get at that moment makes you think someone laced your pipe with something against the law.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Your correct, what often messes people up is electrolytes.

I'll be taking
8g sodium via celtic sea salt
2.5-3.5g potassium chloride
5-600mg magnesium glycinate.

With my fat reserves I can safely go 30-40 days, but I'll let my body tell me.

As a former nutritionist/bodybuilder and avid mountain climber, I'm extremely aware of my bodies electrolyte requirements so I know what I need when based on how I'm feeling.

I'm doing this for two reasons.

1.) Reset and heal the body through autophagy

2.) Drop weight I gained from a terrible six week binge after my separation and tearing my finger (left me unable to climb, workout etc)

I can't recommend anyone fast longer than 5-7 days without a dr. I understand the risks.

Afterwards I'll be doing shorter fasts several times a year and most likely will eat during a 6-8 hour window daily like I used to back in the day.

I also like to see what the body is truly capable of as well as test myself physically and mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.