PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Hi Everyone,
I have encountered an “issue” with my recently purchased Stanwell Royal Guard. After every smoke I give my pipes a rub-down with a lightly damp rag. Nothing vigorous, just a gentle once-over. However, this process appears to be affecting my Stanwell in a maybe not so positive way? The shine that once was the finish appears to be coming off. I have attached pictures that hopefully give some visual of what’s occurring. Is this a major problem or just a cosmetic thing that can be remedied with something like obsidion oil?
cee3b9c7-968b-456e-9168-c3202d4d8814-600x450.jpg

81fbc104-88da-4bab-bf6d-2e25b1f49c26-600x450.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to read through my problems.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Looks like a cosmetic thing. I’m pretty sure they just finish that line of pipes with carnauba wax, once that burns off the stain is left naked which will come off with water, one of the reasons I don’t follow those weirdos advice to rinse your pipe in the sink. Lol. Personally, now that it looks unattractive I would try to even it out by wiping as much stain off as I can and I promise you it will darken an even prettier color over time as you smoke it. I guess that’s subjective though as I like my pipes to look used with a mat finish, you know a kind of patina, rather than shiny and glossy.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Thanks hawky454. I had a feeling it was just a cosmetic thing, glad to hear others believe the same. I agree on your choice moving forward. I have enough shiny pipes, could do with a bit of a change.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have a Chacom that is the same way. Where I hold the bowl with my thumb and index finger is no longer glossy...has a matte finish. I'm ok with it.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Obsidian oil is for vulcanite stems and I wouldn't use it on the bowl. I certainly wouldn't use a damp cloth on my pipe either.

I have a Stanwell Royal Guard pipe. When I polish it with carnauba wax it is nice and glossy, but the shine wears off after a smoke or two. That's normal. It's not a high end pipe, but it's durable and a good smoker.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Thanks all. Workman, I suppose I meant the wax. Used the wrong word. Haven’t ever used either product so I am an amateur on the issue!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The shiny patches are residual shellac that was used for "fixing" the stain. (Why they became visible is a long story)
To hide them temporarily, just re-wax with carnauba.
To remove them permanently requires some degree of re-finishing (every case is different).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
To hide them temporarily, just re-wax with carnauba.
To remove them permanently requires some degree of re-finishing (every case is different).

I had a Neerup pipe that was driving me nuts with the left over residual patches of shellac so I just used water and a lot of elbow grease to remove the remaining portion that wasn’t smoking off. It looks so much better now that it’s not patchy. It looked odd at first, not too attractive but after several smokes it has darkened considerably and it is quite handsome now. I’m glad I didn’t have to take sandpaper to it, I only use sandpaper as a last case scenario.
I don’t know much about you, Georged but I always enjoy your informative posts and you seem to have a wealth of knowledge when it come to pipes and tobaccos. Do you restore pipes? Are you in the business or just a hobbyist? I’d like to know more behind the man that is Georged (yes, I pronounce it with the ‘d’, I think it sounds cool.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I don’t know much about you, Georged but I always enjoy your informative posts and you seem to have a wealth of knowledge when it come to pipes and tobaccos. Do you restore pipes? Are you in the business or just a hobbyist? I’d like to know more behind the man that is Georged (yes, I pronounce it with the ‘d’, I think it sounds cool.
Pictures---in this case moving pictures---will save me a lot of typing. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQlM1pWKqd5prZTdEDANZg/playlists
(I visit this board from time to time because Kevin pays me to aggravate Jesse, Jon Guss, and a handful of other troublemakers as much as possible.) :mrgreen:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
georged, your a GOD when it comes to pipe repairs , etc. Respect for you my friend...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Obsidian oil is for vulcanite stems and I wouldn't use it on the bowl. I certainly wouldn't use a damp cloth on my pipe either.
Yes, rubbing with a damp cloth will remove the patina, if any, as well as wax and eventually, shellac or varnish. But mineral oil on the stummel as well as the stem is just fine. Try a bit before further work.
If you have worries about water damaging the finish via a hot water flush, you can be careful to not get any on the surface. Though with 60-70 pipes that have undergone this far out method of cleaning, not one's finish has been compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.