PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

metzmo

Lurker
Aug 26, 2013
The St. Louis Pipe Club is pleased to announce it 28th Annual Pipe Show and Swap. The event will be held at the Webster Groves Masonic Lodge in suburban St. Louis County on February 20th, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This show has historically been the first major show of the season and has been well attended with a lot of action in the past.
The show is totally smoker friendly throughout the venue. Two rooms, a "Men's Lounge" and "Library" are available for relaxation during the show. Special arrangements have been made for both hot and cold food and beverages during the show.
The club has 70 spaces available for vendors and others interested in displays. Sixty-four (64) of the spaces measure 4'X32". Six of the spaces are 8'X32". The 4'spaces are $50.00 and the 8'spaces are $100.00. Of course, two 4'spaces can be combined to make for a larger total display area. The venue is slightly smaller than in past years and we have had to make each display space slightly smaller to meet the demand. The price per space is also less than in the past.
Mailings are going out tomorrow, December 29th, to those of you on our mailing list. A flyer and information sheet will be gladly e-mailed to you. The e-mail address for the show is: pipeshow2016@gmail.com. Reservations will be confirmed when funds are received by the show coordinator: Bob Metzler, 7630 Bracken Circle, St. Louis, MO 63123. Please make checks payable to "The St. Louis Pipe Club". He may be reached at 314-434-0920. You may also text a fellow coordinator Harry Malin during the day or call him at night at: 314-619-0822.
Door prizes will be given and a silent auction will be held. The club will be very appreciative should you decide to contribute prizes and/or auction items. They may be sent to Bob Metzler at the address above.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am sure glad to see an official announcement for this show. I was very concerned that this Show might not happen.
The St.Louis Show has always been very well attended and is geared more for the lower end of the cost spectrum. One of the local media outlets did a really nice 5 minute or so video on one of the shows a few years back.
I didn't see any mention of hotels? Is there not one nearby?

metzmo

Lurker
Aug 26, 2013
The club has unofficially selected the Best Western Kirkwood Mo as host hotel. 62 rooms are being held until Jan 28th at $92.00 per night. Each room has a balcony with a sliding glass door to facilitate smoking in an otherwise smoke free room. Many restaurants are nearby, some with discounts offered to our visitors. I don't have the phone number handy right now. The hotel is about 4 to 5 miles down the highway from the venue. If you are not on the mailing list e-mail me on the show website and I will get you a flyer and additional info sheet. The e-mail address is pipeshow2016@gmail.com.

metzmo

Lurker
Aug 26, 2013
The show is generating intense interest. I am already getting overwhelmed with e-mails with requests for space at the show.
I suggest that anyone interested in space get in touch with me soon. If you are on the club's mailing list you will receive your mailing tomorrow or over the next few days. If you are not on the mailing list and need information, e-mail me at pipeshow2016@gmail.com. If you are a vendor I will include the standard flyer, the info sheet with lodging, directions, etc AND a table layout. Space preferences will be honored when payment is received by me. Space reservation payments should be made payable to the "St. Louis Pipe Club". The details are on the mailings/e-mails you will receive.
This promises to an even bigger show than in the past now that the club has entered the electronic communication age.
Thanks in advance for your support.
Bob Metzler 314-434-0920

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I reserved a room for Thurs, Fri and Sat. I wonder how this will work out in a smoke fee hotel. Is this a wink wink deal like Chicago was until last (sort of) year? IMO having a smoke friendly hotel is more important to most of us than a smoke friendly show floor.

I took this at last years Gateway Pipe Show hotel. 8O

img_0110.jpg

metzmo

Lurker
Aug 26, 2013
Here is the real true scoop on the hotel and venue smoking policies.
A day or two after the announcements went out about the show a got word that the front desk of the Best Western, Kirkwood was telling people that smoking was not permitted on the room balconies. I talked to the Director of Sales for the hotel the next day and informed her of the development. Furthermore, I stressed that we picked the Best Western as a recommended "host" hotel for a number of reasons some of which were: Overall appearance, amenities and SMOKING ON THE BALCONIES!
Heather Carter, the Director of Sales, confirmed that smoking IS permitted on the balconies. Frankly, being a lawyer, if the balconies are open to the guests they cannot prohibit smoking on your own "private" balcony. Apparently, the hotel does not encourage use of the balconies period. I suppose they don't want people getting drunk and falling off of the sixth floor balcony to their room. This is not a unwarranted concern with the wild bunch we pipe smokers are. Also, these balconies are only about three to four foot deep from the door to the railing. In other words, you are not going to get a chaise lounge onto these balconies.
The show IS SMOKER FRIENDLY EVERYWHERE! The only place in the building that is not smoker friendly is in the tabernacle (sp?). The show is not going to be held in that room. The show will be held on the second floor of the Webster Groves Masonic lodge. The "men's lounge" and "library" are on the third floor along with the tabernacle. The tabernacle will be closed off during the show.
Finally, I am cutting and pasting the most recent update concerning space availability from the "Upcoming Events" section of the forum. Thanks for all your support. I know this will be one of the best shows of the new year. Bob Metzler.
Here is the latest on display/vendor space at the show. I now have only three 4'X32" spaces available barring payment not being received, cancellation and/or additional table(s) being placed in the lobby entrance. I will accept reservations on our waiting list on a first come first served basis. If space becomes available I will notify the first vendor/carver in line and then down the list.
The remaining 4' sections are not in some God forsaken corner or anything. Frankly, there isn't any bad space in the whole venue. The lighting, both natural and overhead is great. The spaces would be great for a carver or boutique tobacco blender. We now have a fair representation of hand carved pipes from the U.S. and overseas and new higher volume manufacturers. I think additions to either carvers or blenders would round out the show better and either or both types of exhibitors would do well at the show. Speciality accessories would also do well.
I am also thinking of the individual that just wants to cut down on their collection. For the "space" price of $50.00 you would have room for thirty pipes or more. It shouldn't be hard to recoup that investment.
I look forward to seeing both veteran and new pipemen at the show. It will be a great one.
Thanks for your support,
Bob Metzler, Show Coordinator, 314-434-0920 and/or the show e-mail: pipeshow2016@gmail.com

metzmo

Lurker
Aug 26, 2013
The show is now officially "SOLD OUT"!!!!! I will take waiting list reservations only at this time. This is the fastest the show has ever sold out - 10 days since the first internet announcement.
The hotel still has some space available. Please do not think that you can wait until the 28th of this month and still get a reservation. Granted, there was a mad dash to get space on the floor by carvers, tobacconists, estate pipe vendors and others. Most of those folks have already reserved hotel space. If you are visiting from out of the St. Louis area I encourage you to reserve now. I expect that the hotel will be full by the 20th, at the latest.
If there is a question in your mind as to whether or not to stay overnight and, if so, whether to stay at the Best Western all I can tell you is that it is well worth it. Not only do you get a chance to meet some of the most interesting folks in our hobby but you also get a chance to see a lot of the merchandise first. Many of the vendors have a pre-sale on Friday night in their hotel rooms. Announcements concerning what rooms are open will be posted in the lobby as they open and close. In the past many of the rooms were smoking rooms. Unfortunately, we are now stuck with our little balconies off each room. Well, somethings better than nothing.
The room rate is $92.00 per night. Some of our attendees are coming in Thursday and some are staying over Saturday night. The point is that you will see "pipemen" as early as Thursday night and as late as Sunday morning. Friday the 190th will be the big night. Saturday morning there will be a breakfast with our own private dining room set aside for the show.
For those vendors/carvers etc. that did not get space - come anyway! Its going to be a long time until Chicago.... This show will ease the withdrawl from the West Coast Show.
Thanks to everyone for such tremendous support,
Bob Metzler, Show Coordinator pipeshow2016@gmail.com and 314-434-0920.

metzmo

Lurker
Aug 26, 2013
I thought it might be a good time to update everyone on the status of the 28th Annual St. Louis Pipe Show. There have been no cancellations as of yet so the show remains sold out. I have six or so on the waiting list with various space requirements. I am still taking waiting list requests but don't be too confident of being accommodated.
For those of you that would be satisfied with showing your wares at the unofficial pre-sale, you always have the option of getting a room at the Best Western "host" hotel and laying out your goodies on the bed(s) on the Friday night immediately prior to the show. The pre-sales start around 7:00 p.m. or so. You may post your name and room number on the board in the lobby the afternoon/evening Friday night and leave your door cracked open. The pre-sale is essentially a combination of a social gathering and a business event. Refreshments are generally acceptable to bring and offer. Please respect the other guest's privacy. When you wish to shut down just take your sign off your room and put out the do not disturb sign.
FINALLY, I thought you might be interested in some of the vendors that will be present, particularly those that you may already be familiar with or that seem particularly interesting, at least to me:
1) Tobacco Companies in no particular order: Cornell & Diehl, Lane, Peter Skokobye, McClelland, G.L. Pease, Captain Earle's, and more.
2) New Pipe and Accessory vendors in no particular order: Savinelli, Rossi, the lines imported by F & K and Monjure International, Missouri Meerschaum as well as others including a particularly interesting company, American Pipe Makers that appears to specialize in new up and coming carvers that have not received much attention to date and more. Some of the carvers that will be attending include John Barrett, Dennis Compos and Scott Thile of Thile Handmade Pipes among others.
3) Estate Pipes: The show has always been known for the extent and variety of its estate pipe offerings. Some of the more familiar vendors include in no particular order: Great Estate Pipes, Phil Kotyk, Al Sonderman, Rex Popenpohl, Sally "The Pipe Tart", Viking Club Pipes and Joe Giardina imports among others.
This list is for illustration purposes only and is not intended to be comprehensive. I don't want to get calls complaining that your name was left off. Please consider this announcement as promotional and informational in its intent rather than a comprehensive list of all participants.
We expect a big turnout, a lot of wheeling and dealing and a good time. See you at the show.
Bob Metzler, Show Coordinator 314-434-0920

Status
Not open for further replies.