PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Just rec’d my first packet of St. Bruno. Do I need to choose my pipe carefully? I smoke Cosmic mixture nearly all the time.

Reactions: JOHN72
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Just rec’d my first packet of St. Bruno. Do I need to choose my pipe carefully? I smoke Cosmic mixture nearly all the time.
It leaves a bit of one, but not bad. At least that’s what I’ve found. In my experience, it can be removed with a warm water flush and some Burley. I like it, but I haven’t smoked a ton of it in the same pipe, so take that into consideration.
EDIT: I should probably add that I usually smoke it in my meerschaum, which some claim is less susceptible to ghosting. That may also play a factor in my experience with it. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2012
Yep, Ghosty McGhostface. It's possible to exorcise it with enough burley but it's better if you can dedicate a pipe...or just use a meer as said earlier.

Reactions: edger
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Where are you guys getting Bruno that'll ghost? My Bruno barely has any topping in it. With Ennerdale at 11, I'd score Bruno at 2, at most. Newminster 400 has more.
Everyone’s palate is a little different I guess. Maybe your buds just aren’t very sensitive to those particular toppings? ?‍♂️ There’s definitely some rose geranium and a little tonquin or something similar in there. And it will leave a slight ghost for me. Not bad, but I can tell it’s there.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Everyone’s palate is a little different I guess. Maybe your buds just aren’t very sensitive to those particular toppings? ?‍♂️ There’s definitely some rose geranium and a little tonquin or something similar in there. And it will leave a slight ghost for me. Not bad, but I can tell it’s there.
Yeah, I wish I can taste rg and tonquin in it, because I love them. No worries, there're stronger blends available.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Do you bruno fans notice a difference in rose geranium between the flake and RR? I’m thinking of stocking up as I love the RG flavour and wondering which to prioritise grabbing - or just wait to see if some 500g boxes of Grasmere or ennerdale Come into stock this year

Reactions: sablebrush52

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
What hawk said. I LOVE SB, but don't worry about the ghosts. I don't consider it a Lakeland essence as much as a dark and fruity stew, with some KY mixed in. Sure, I can smell it in my pipe the next morning, but after a few days, I don't seem to notice it anymore once it airs out. Use a cob if you're worried, but I think you'll come to love this blend.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Do you bruno fans notice a difference in rose geranium between the flake and RR? I’m thinking of stocking up as I love the RG flavour and wondering which to prioritise grabbing - or just wait to see if some 500g boxes of Grasmere or ennerdale Come into stock this year
I've only had the St. Bruno Ready Rubbed, so I can't say how it differs from the Flake. Ennerdale is the over-the-top Queen of the Lakeland florals with the addition of what I think is almond. Nothing beats Ennerdale in terms of the amount of Kendal sauce. Grasmere has about half the amount of sauce. The Bruno Ready Rubbed has almost none, as far as I can tell. If you're looking for rose geranium, I'd wait for the Gawith Hoggarths. Also, No. 7 Broken Flake has more sauce than Grasmere, as does Sam Gawith's Sam's Flake.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I honestly don’t think it’s Rose Geranium. That has a very distinct flavor, almost medicinal. St. Bruno has a floral note but not like Grasmere or Ennerdale. But go for the RR if you want more of the sauce. I’ve become pretty sensitive to Rose Geranium lately and I don’t taste it even remotely in St. Bruno. In fact I don’t think St. Bruno resembles anything like GH&Co’s offerings.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've smoked St Bruno for years. It's a favorite of mine. I wouldn't say that it ghosts a pipe in the sense that it imparts a flavor that can't ever be eradicated. Yes, you will taste it in a pipe for a few bowls after you have started a different blend in that pipe, but it always goes away. Many blends leave a trace for a few bowls after introducing a different blend to the pipe. St Bruno doesn't really require more diligence to eradicate than most other blends in my experience.
Latakia is a different story. Compared to Latakia, St Bruno doesn't ghost at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.