PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
well that's brilliant
Most companies don't take storage into consideration as their product is made for immediate use. Someone here once posted an email from Esotetica and they found the concept amusing and even condescended the poster over it.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Checked all my tins today and found none to be open. I did open my Hanson Flake tins the other day and realized they were not sealed, pretty dry tobacco and taste was okay. Solani round tin is the only other one that I had with a busted seal. That and a few C&D from 2018, busted right under the pull too.

Then I checked my jars....definitely quite a few that had lost a seal or never had one. Reading Cosmics post I went ahead and pulled a few, dumped the tobacco on a coffee filter, heated up the jar and attempted to reseal them. Will see if that'll work or if I need to replace the lids again.

But currently smoking some LNF from one of those jars (2018) and sure tastes good, even if the seal was not perfect!

Reactions: seanv

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Checked all my tins today and found none to be open. I did open my Hanson Flake tins the other day and realized they were not sealed, pretty dry tobacco and taste was okay. Solani round tin is the only other one that I had with a busted seal. That and a few C&D from 2018, busted right under the pull too.

Then I checked my jars....definitely quite a few that had lost a seal or never had one. Reading Cosmics post I went ahead and pulled a few, dumped the tobacco on a coffee filter, heated up the jar and attempted to reseal them. Will see if that'll work or if I need to replace the lids again.

But currently smoking some LNF from one of those jars (2018) and sure tastes good, even if the seal was not perfect!
I'm doing the same with some jars tomorrow. Tried the hot water in the sink trick to seal a case and it sort of worked, though I pushed the lid down - it definitely did not *ping* like pressure canning or hot water bathing for Mason jar food preservation.

Let us know how your experiment works out.

Reactions: seanv

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I'm doing the same with some jars tomorrow. Tried the hot water in the sink trick to seal a case and it sort of worked, though I pushed the lid down - it definitely did not *ping* like pressure canning or hot water bathing for Mason jar food preservation.

Let us know how your experiment works out.

I checked this morning on the 8 tins I heated the jar and put the lids back...the man is a genius! All have what I consider a solid seal. Three still pop back and forth but the lid won't budge when I try to lift it off. The others have the lid down.

And I will now be going through the rest of my jars (at least the nicer stuff) and make sure I have a good seal. Same for future jars.

Thanks for the great tip! The other great tip from Cosmic made a few years back was not to over tamp your tobacco. If you pack it right, one should only have to tamp a few times during a smoke. Never thanked you for that but much appreciated Cosmic! Made smoking much easier for me over the years!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I checked this morning on the 8 tins I heated the jar and put the lids back...the man is a genius! All have what I consider a solid seal. Three still pop back and forth but the lid won't budge when I try to lift it off. The others have the lid down.

And I will now be going through the rest of my jars (at least the nicer stuff) and make sure I have a good seal. Same for future jars.

Thanks for the great tip! The other great tip from Cosmic made a few years back was not to over tamp your tobacco. If you pack it right, one should only have to tamp a few times during a smoke. Never thanked you for that but much appreciated Cosmic! Made smoking much easier for me over the years!
I'm still early enough in my cellaring that I can eventually go back and hit up all the jars, except the ones I'll be digging in.

First up is my remaining jars of FVF, Black Mallory and Red Rapparee.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Incidentally, what time/temp did you use in the oven? I'm thinking 170*F for 15 minutes for the empty jars, to avoid affecting the tobacco by cooking it.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I did 175degF for 10-15 minutes. I used a temperature gun to check the 150 and picked up the jars bare handed (so I know they are not too hot).

Funny but I had to do this with my FVF and Red Rapparee as well!

I also am having to do it with some Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (which I think I may have had a bad batch of lids as 6 jars and none of them sealed the first time) and Blackpool. I am fairly early to cellaring (about 1-2 year old tobacco) but know I have enough that I'd take the chance to make it last as long as I can!

One of my whisky bottles I purchased recently was sealed with Shellac. Opening that yesterday and seeing your agony today gave me an idea. Why don’t you seal your jars with shellac, put in a Mylar bag and then seal with shellac again for good measure! The unboxing of the same would also be video worthy !

I’m not quite sure I know what you mean by removing the outer ring? The screw on ring? You just let the vacuum hold the lid down?

Damn it guys! I can’t fucking win. First it’s tins, then it’s jars! Jars never fail! Go with jars! Then it’s Mylar, then it’s full circle back to keeping them in their tins (which I do, if the tin seal is tight) but this entire time I thought my jars were absolutely the safest bet for bulk. Sure I want to protect my stash but damn it... I am not resorting to the hot glue gun! I sometimes heat my jars in the microwave before filling them up and screwing the lid on but I always heard the best way was to just screw the lid on, the seal will take care of itself. Oi vey! Owning a tobacco cellar can drive a man to go mad!

• Haha
Reactions: pantsBoots

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
One of my whisky bottles I purchased recently was sealed with Shellac. Opening that yesterday and seeing your agony today gave me an idea. Why don’t you seal your jars with shellac, put in a Mylar bag and then seal with shellac again for good measure! The unboxing of the same would also be video worthy !
Hahaha! Now you’ve just started a whole new method. Shellac it, hot glue it, then tape it with paraffin tape, wrap it in saran wrap, dip the tin in hot wax, then put it in a mylar bag, seal that shit, rinse repeat! It’s simple.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I did 175degF for 10-15 minutes. I used a temperature gun to check the 150 and picked up the jars bare handed (so I know they are not too hot).

Funny but I had to do this with my FVF and Red Rapparee as well!

I also am having to do it with some Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (which I think I may have had a bad batch of lids as 6 jars and none of them sealed the first time) and Blackpool. I am fairly early to cellaring (about 1-2 year old tobacco) but know I have enough that I'd take the chance to make it last as long as I can!
The lids didn't ping, but it appears to have sealed (a gentle tug didn't remove the lids). Oddly enough, about half the jars I was going to empty and heat treat appeared to have sealed themselves, so I skipped it for them.

While I would love to go the extra step with some colorful was like found on quality Armagnac and absinthe, I believe that would be Overkill and a mess to boot.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Wife has some shellac, maybe it'll work!! I use some aluminum tape too!

But I found a few more sealed as well and let them be. I did buy some more lids though but won't be in stock until 2021 (jk but can't find in stores)....I like the method and will use again for the next tin I open!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
All of my jars seemed to have sealed on their own thankfully. Im curious as to how this occurs without the use of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.