PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
I constantly spit when I smoke nails but not so much when I smoke the pipe. Typically I don't do it around people I don't know....but I honestly never thought of it as a "disgusting, filthy, horrendous, atrocious, act, so much that it apparently induces vomiting in some".
I find it highly uncomfortable to hold in my excess saliva, or even swallow it. Just my thoughts.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
i used to but now i usually dont. Try taking a sip of water whenever you have the urge to spit. That helped me a lot! :puffpipe:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Drinking anything helps, problem is that a beverage isnt always available. At school if you are caught spitting in the smoke shacks or in the smoke shack garbage you get a $15 fine. But its ok to step out and spit on the grass. I usually smoke my pipe or cigar by myself at home, so no one is around to see my spitting. I have only one friend who smokes pipes/cigars and when we smoke, no one else is usually around.

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
I hear you ohin3, sounds to me like everyone has already passed judgement. Give the guy a freakin break because you cannot say you have never had to spit....Get real!!!!

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
As I said at the beginning to each there own, pipe smoking has always been considered a more genteel way of enjoying tobacco, and in that sense spitting does not seem to fit. I do not care if the op spits or not, I just relayed what I thought was decent behavior when in the presence of other people.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
I don't think I've ever felt the need to spit while smoking. I enjoy the taste too much to let it go to waste on the ground.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Different folks, different cultures finding different bodily functions/actions acceptable or not, I guess i.e.
Eat a hot spicy meal in a muslim country (my experience was Turkey), blow your nose ever so discreetly and quietly (read silently) because it and your eyes are watering profusely from the assault on your tastebuds, and watch an entire restaurant of 200 people stop eating, gasp in horror, glare in anger and many throw down their flatware in disgust and abject shock as glasses of apple tea fly from the trays of waiters. Umm - excuse me, but I USE TOILET PAPER and you can't cope with a little nose mopping!!
Later the same evening, grasp a toddler's nose with your pointer and middle fingers saying, "I got your nose" and then stick your thumb between said pointer & middle fingers and listen to 50 party goers scream in disbelief, women hide their faces in their hands making strange choking noises, men half leap out of their seats at you because their interpretation is that you just told and are showing the kid he/she is a clitoris ... meanwhile you wonder why your friend is bodily dragging you hurriedly from the room with sheer terror for your well-being in his eyes.
Anyone ever notice the Brits are so demure & well mannered they won't tear open anything with their teeth i.e. catch a British Airways flight and enjoy 100's of them trying to open packets of peanuts etc with their fingers in vain for 15 hours solid, so all you hear is constant, unrelenting rustling as you look at the emergency exit and consider it your only option of escape but the Hostie comes with another Johnnie Walker & ice, your 20th. Nor would the av. old school Brit dream of walking down the street eating anything, not even an icecream, they sit and take care of business. I got some real strange looks & hisses walking around Harrods gnawing on a Cacciatori sausage lmfao.
Spitting, well, I wasn't judging anyone at all, simply voicing my opinion as to that particular activity as others have expressed their distaste of what I do and find acceptable over the years - opinions differ and are there to be expressed, so nernie, nernie ... you can either laugh or take offence, but who gives a rat's huh?

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Some links around the web on the subject;
http://www.askmen.com/money/successful/41_success.html
http://burnettiquette.blogspot.com/2006/05/again-with-spitting_02.html
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=32620.15
http://etiquetteschoolofohio.com/2008/04/17/spitting-in-public/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_North_America
Good manners are not harsh, they are means of social behavior that allow us all to live together in communities.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Well I like to spit when I smoke. I dont care if you find it rude or gross. If you dont like dont be around me. My spit tends to not taste like the baccy I'm smoking. It usually tastes gross and I dont want to swallow it. Drinking something helps, but I don't always have something to drink handy. I dont really smoke in front of people except my friends and my dad. When I'm at college, most of them spit too.

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
This thread got me thinking. So yesterday I paid attention to how I was smoking and tried to figure out why I needed to spit only when walking. I've always puffed I bit faster when walking that sitting around, and never though that might be the reason for excess saliva. So I ended up forcing myself to slow down a bit and not clench the pipe as much, and it actually did reduce my need to spit. Now if I can only find a way of clenching without causes my mouth to water I'll be set.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
When I first started smoking a pipe it made the saliva build up. It may still happen, but I think I swallow it out of habit now so I don't notice as much. I can spit for distance, but I avoid doing it in front of women as I feel it's rude.

throwryuken

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
i read an article somewhere that said swallowing saliva while smoking could lead to bladder throat ect problems. while I'm sure it was probably a one sided article but ever since then I've always spat whilst smoking lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.