SPC Plum Pudding vs. SPCPP Special Reserve for the palate challenged?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
10 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
New Accessories
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I like the plum pudding but haven't had the special reserve. Thinking about trying the special reserve. For the palate challenged, is the taste that different to be noticeable?

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
PPSR comes very highly recommended by many on this forum.

It is supposedly a wonderful blend and much more refined than the regular PP.

I myself cannot attest to that yet, as i have a few tins in the mail but have not received them yet. Will keep you posted. Should arrive next week.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Reserve version is more refined with more flavor nuances. Here's my review of it if it'll help you decide:
Though it is true that the smoky, woody, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia is the most important component, the other constituent tobaccos synergistically combine to form a cohesive, multi-dimensional flavor. The black stoved and red Virginias are also upgraded leaf especially for this Reserve blend. They offer earth and a little grass, fermented tangy ripe, stewed dark fruit and citrus with a light barbecue essence. The sun cured Orientals not present in the original Plum Pudding add a bit more sweetness, depth and dimension to the complexity. The dry, buttery sweet and sour, wood and smoke from the Orientals also sport a pinch of salt in the background, a little less so than they do in the other version due to the upgraded Turkish leaf. There is a continual undercurrent of spice, raisins and figs from the perique, though the spice is lightly more obvious. The unsweetened black cavendish provides a brown sugary smoothness in a small support role. The nicotine status is a shade closer to medium than it is to mild. The strength and taste positions are medium. It won’t bite, and any chance of harshness is tamed by the black cavendish. The pressed kake plug is easily broken apart. The tobacco is a little moist, but I did not feel the need to dry it. I recommend not totally rubbing it out. I broke off small pieces and dropped them into the bowl. It burns a bit slow, cool and clean with a very consistent and intricate, deeply rich and creamy smooth, smoky, woody sweet taste from start to finish. It requires some relights, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. It sports a very pleasant, lingering after taste with a stronger room note. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but is certainly repeatable.
Aside from the previously noted differences from the other Plum Pudding, PPSR is a little sweeter, deeper, smoother and richer in flavor, with nearly the same strength and taste levels. Its sweetness has a mildly more fermented character, and the “barbecue” note a tad more pronounced. Well balanced, you’ll notice virtually all of the inherent aspects of the tobaccos in every moment of the experience.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
For the palate challenged, is the taste that different to be noticeable?
It is for me. PPSR has a more pronounced tangy taste which is richer and more consistent throughout the bowl regardless of pipe than it's non-Special Reserve sibling. It's currently my favorite tobacco.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Difficult to add to what Jim said. Here's my cut. Regular PP is quite good. But when I smoked the Special Reserve, it felt silly to buy the standard version for the sake of a couple of dollars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an unopened tin of the regular version, along with other choice tins such as McClellands and several others. So I won't be in a quest after the special reserve, but I will look forward to hearing about. jiminks probably has the distinction precisely right.

Status
Not open for further replies.