PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The war was fought over the greed for cotton profits , the largest export at the time . With Europe financing both sides while trying to regain control of the federal banking system . That is why Lincoln was shot ,he refused to pay the interest on the loans . Nothing more nothing less .

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"The Outlaw Josey Wales" was a little too late to have an effect on recruitment. Good movie though, lousy way to learn history, movies are. I think very few of the actual combatants in any war know the "official" reason they are being shot at. The landowners in the south caused a lot of boys to die. In the north a vocal minority, religiously oriented group of abolitionists caused many a young lad to suffer the same fate.
We were not discussing why soldiers fought(If you could ask 50 soldiers you probably would have heard 50 dissimilar answers), when the thread was highjacked, we had morphed into the causes of the "Late Unpleasantness" (one quaint southern epithet for the war). Sable hit on another. It was a civil war but, I have no idea when the words term grew caps and became "The Civil War" or "The American Civil War." I've heard and read "War of the Rebellion" (Southern and Northern usage) but, it was the official term used by the Federal Government when the Official Records were published.
sable: You are correct in your assessment of the causes but, slavery was the underlying element driving the conflict. The plantation owners wanted slavery and "states rights' was supposed to protect that part of the economy. The abolitionists just wanted the practice stopped. The sooner the better. Many causes can be pointed out. Slavery was the thread that tied everything together and was the cause of the disagreement. A small population in each segment of the country, one condemning slavery, the other striving mightily to preserve it took the country into a war that really took the country to the next level after the separation from England.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Most of our people fought for the Confederacy, as that's where they lived. They left their corpses lying all over the place (Gettysburg, The Wilderness, etc.). A few cousins lived in Indiana and fought for the North. However, say what you will about hillbillies, but I think the smartest of the bunch were the West Virginia cousins, who (as far as I know) stayed out of the war altogether.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
There were more than a few government backed schemes for handling the economic loss and at least minimizing such. But, no one could come up with how to replace the loss of cheap labor.
rsuninv: Many believe Lee would not have supported the Confederacy had not Virginia seceded and then been "invaded." He resigned is commission prior to Virginia seceding and fervently hoped that she would not. He was a very conflicted individual. He returned to Arlington, put his sword aside and hoped to live the remainder of his life in peace with his family. Then secession, the call to Richmond and the invasion. Now he was in full comprehension as to where his duty lay.
Some thinking holds that if Davis had made Lee the overall commander early in the war he might have fought the North into a state of resignation and finally, in the recognition of the CSA. I'm not one of those, but the "what ifs" are fun to mull over.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Also Lee refused a Union commission because he was a Virginian first and Virginia voted to cede.
We're saying pretty much the same thing here. Lee's allegiance was to Virginia. His state was his country. Virginia took precedence over the Union.
Yeah, I know that I said that I would cease, but that was in a vain attempt to push the topic back on track. There is no track. We're going off road.
I also agree with warren insofar as slavery was part of the mix of forces that brought about the conflict. This all traces back to the Compromise of 1790 with its implication that the North would not interfere with their Peculiar Institution having agreed to locate the capital in the South.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I do apologize to the OPster. I've spent the better part of scholastic life and spare time from work intently studying that particular war. It holds a fascination for me. At one time I counted 1200+ books in my personal library. I suppose I feel about that war as some here do towards pipes and tobaccos.
I apologize again. It's just a matter of too much enthusiasm marrying up with very bad forum manners. My knowledge is vast and I've not had much chance to share opinions on the subject. I really should join a Civil War forum. Though, I suspect it would be a very dry and serious place, unlike this one.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I must point out that there was nothing at all Civil about the War of Northern Aggression. The most damaging thing that came out of the war (in my humble opinion) is the change from The United States being a plural entity to it becoming a singular entity. Before the war it was correct to say The United States are... after the war it became The United States is...

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
However, say what you will about hillbillies, but I think the smartest of the bunch were the West Virginia cousins, who (as far as I know) stayed out of the war altogether.
My family had settled in Transmontane Virginia in the 1750s and I had kin on both sides of the war. Most of my kin fought for the Union however, serving proudly in the 14th West Virginia Volunteer Infantry. What is interesting is that my house (built in 1991) is sitting just yards from where a small battle took place where my great great grandfather fought. There is a very good chance that he stood in my front yard 125 or so years before I moved in to my house. Now folks, you can get back to your debate. Sorry for the hijack.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Crusader:
Please re-engage.
Damned shame about your thread - historically interesting & entertaining as it might be - but I've got another question and Urban Dictionary was no help. Your thread title, "Southerners...Civil War......GITT." has me puzzled.
What's a GITT?
Fnord

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Bless you, Stephen.
I first thought about sharing my personal Robert Penn Warrenesque narrative of naming children after Southern generals but this thread went sideways in a New York minute and I bit my tongue.
Thank you for your share.
Fnord

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I have another tale of distant uncles. They remained in PA when the family had moved into WV in 1860. Anyway these two brothers were in the same unit and fought in the battle of Plymouth, NC, and both were captured and sent to Andersonville. On their release at the end of the war, they were trying to make it home, but one made it as far as Baltimore and he died there as a result of his year in Andersonville. The other brother made it home and lived a long life.
Another great great grandfather came out of the war in bad mental shape and was one of the first "residents" in the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, WV. His wife and brother-in-law (who married my grandfather's sister) got him out of the asylum and they took care of him for the rest of his life. There is a picture somewhere on the Internet of the 4 of them.
It is funny how names got mangled when these soldiers enlisted. The grandfather who I spoke of in the 14 WV had the name of Le Sueur. By the time he got out of the army his name had been changed to Leasure (pronounced leisure) and that side of the family still uses the name Leasure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The personal attack has been deleted, the OP dropped out of sight. Nothing else to see here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU

Status
Not open for further replies.