PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salsa45

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
I have heard this temr souring the pipe due to changing tobaccos in the same pipe. what is the theory about using different tobaccos in the same pipe. What excatly does souring imply.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ghosting refers to the flavors left behind from the previous blend. Many of us dedicate pipes to certain types of tobaccos. For me I have my Virginia flake pipes, Virginia/Perique flake pipes and 2 aromatic pipes. If you smoke a Latakia blend and then try smoking an aromatic in the same pipe, then you will taste the Latakia which is something you may not want to taste. Some people do not dedicate pipes and they are more than happy. There are no rules to any of this.
A sour pipe is when a pipe is dirty, the left over tars will heat up when you try smoking it and it will have a real nasty taste to it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
To avoid souring, clean your pipe after every smoke or every couple of smokes, and let it rest in between smokes.
If you want to see what souring is... don't do anything and keep puffin haha.
To avoid ghosting between aro and non aro I usually enjoy all my aromatics in cobs. I don't mind ghosts of everything else...it's just tasty.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"Sour" to me only occurs when a pipe is smoked wet, left wet, and smoked again cyclically with no drying out or cleaning in between. There's a huge difference between a "dirty" pipe in need of cleaning and a "sour" pipe in need of cleaning and drying. Pipes are dirty after use, that's just the way they are. But if you smoke well and have a dry bowl at the end... you won't ever have a sour pipe.
It's not to say that smoking a little wet would ever wreck a pipe - briar is tough stuff, but it needs to air a bit between smokes or eventually it will just bog down.

Status
Not open for further replies.