PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Meerqueen: Flattered you asked, but I am retired now. Years ago I would have loved to do it. I was a stone carver. It was my first love, in art. Also I did thousand of ice carvings for the NYC hotels, and woodcarving too. But now I just paint, and not for money. I don't even have a workshop anymore to mess up with carving, and I suspect the dust is not so good for the carver. It is a silicate, isn't it? Silicates lead to silicosis, an unfixable problem that eventually fills your lungs and chokes you. If you send me some pictures I will critique them and make suggestions. No charge, just to help you. If you can't post on private messages, PM me and I will send you a direct email. Another thing: I couldn't possibly work for what the Turkish carvers get. Things cost too much here. My pipes would end up costing more than people would want to pay. What they pay a Turkish carver, wouldn't even buy me lunch, here in Chelsea.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
@Foggy
So maybe we need to go back with a time machine to find you when you are young and then transfer you to Turkey :)
Meerschaum is a hydrous magnesium silicate.I havent heard and seen any problem that any artisan has a lung problem because of meerschaum carving.Meerschaum carving is safe in terms of health.
Meerschaum carvers were earning less in the past but i can say that now many of them has their own houses and cars and earning a sufficient money :)

Aug 14, 2012
It is the silicate word that concerns me. When I studied stone carving over 50 years ago, we were taught about silicates and silicosis. Marble and limestones were somewhat safe to work. Silicates were not, though if worked outdoors, were not as dangerous. I am not an expert on these matters and meer could be very safe, but the silicate designation does cause concern. I would suggest thoroughly blowing out a new meer to remove any dust that might be left from carving. Just in case.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Dear Foggy
thank you for your suggestion and the information that you gave.by the way did you watch our this video.Artisan Tekin is carving a meer.May be you would be interested in.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vPplPziQac
Regards,

B.B

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Foggy... Great self portrait! I too miss your previous avatar. Maybe it's just, me, but it looks like you have a passing resemblance to a thinner Jerry Garcia...... :lol:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
wow your very talented. I am jealous as I have 0 artistic talent. I'm not musically inclined either. I'm just a geek.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
A talented gentleman you are. Thanks for sharing.

As for carving meerschaum, there shouldn't be any problem with dust because the blocks are wet and soft during the process. I bet you could put many of those Turks to shame. There are very few carvers that have quality detail in their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.