PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
It is sorta like if you were to wean on a soft nipple or a hard one??? Or an old demented man???

What's your choice?

:nana:

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I bought some of the clear ones off eBay and they were NOT the same quality. They were too big for any pipe I owned. I bought a tub of 100 from EA Carey which fit perfect on all my pipes.
I clench, therefore I softy. Now I can't smoke a pipe without them.
Edit: Every couple of months this topic comes up. Isn't there a search feature one can use?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
sjpipesmoker there are two sizes of both the clear and black bits. You might have gotten the larger 12 mm size which is only needed for very wide lipped stems. I need both sizes to cover the range of pipes I have and the cheap ones seem to hold up okay for me but if they were not available I'd pay whatever was required to get them. The one thing I don't do with any rubber bit is leave it on a pipe between smokes. Doing that will discolor even acrylic stems after only a couple of days.
Two more things. If a listing for a pack of bits does not specifically mention size they will usually be the smaller 9 mm version. Also I notice that on the current Ebay listings there are some 11mm size bits available now. I'll have to grab some of those.

pappap

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2016
I use a piece of clear pvc tubing ,run it under really hot water and it will fit just about any bit I have

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
If you clench, then they will save you a great deal of stress, while keeping your stems unmarked. I use them on all of my pipes, they are definitely worth it if you can find them in bulk. But ultimately, you have to decide for yourself what looks worse on your pipe stems: what the haters call "pipe condoms", or pipe stems that look like the dog had at them?
Some have complained about a taste they don't like, but I haven't noticed that. There is a bit of a rubbery odor when they are fresh, but after a few smokes that is gone too, and mine have not worn out easily while doing chores around the house.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Do what you like, but I'd rather be gagged with a baseball and have it held tight with duct tape. Terrible things. They are my pipes, and they will have my tooth marks, because that is the natural consequence of smoking a pipe. I will never resale them, and I don't care a hill of beans about keeping them pristine. They will be piled on my funeral pyre and sent with me the next world. But, do what you like.
Well put!

Status
Not open for further replies.