Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I don't think there's anything to hide on this topic, personally. I did find that pumice helps to smooth out the waterglass bowl coating mixture as it has a tendency to clump. It doesn't take much. I also mixed it the other way around, adding the charcoal and pumice to the waterglass but I don't think it really matters. Now that I think of it, adding the waterglass to the charcoal makes more sense. I always ended up with way more than I needed. You'll want the ratio to have the least amount of waterglass to obtain the right consistency. The charcoal is what allows the coating to absorb moisture.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
You know what I find amusing about some of the discussions about sodium silicate bowl coatings is that some guys will talk about how terrible sodium silicate is then turn around and laud fireplace mortar as an alternative while the bonding agent in fireplace mortar is sodium silicate. :lol:

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Yes, that is what it would leave - glossy black and thick. Waterglass will always leave a glossy like finish. It can be used in bowl coatings, but should be used as a couple of drops additive, not as the main mixing component.
I know a maker who coats his bowls in in waterglass, then immediately pours in charcoal powder which sticks to the still wet waterglass and leaves a matte finish. Buyers never seem to complain about the coating, as long as he tells them it is a "secret recipe" coating. I'm sure if he revealed the secret, they would complain that the pipe tastes funny, or smokes too hot.
Personally, I prefer to bypass the issue by not using coatings at all, but to each his own...

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Thanks for all the responses guys! I really appreciate you guys being willing to talk to me about a subject that I realize is very controversial. I'm neither for or against Waterglass or bowl coatings in general. I just enjoy learning about all aspects of any subject. I'm new to pipe making and love to hear about what other pipe makers are doing and how they're doing it. I soak up all the information I can and then like to experiment and come to my own conclusions about what I like or don't like. For those who are dead set against bowl coatings, consider this. If 100 people tell a person that a tobacco blend taste like crap and 100 people tell them it's the best they've ever had, more than likely they're going to try it just to see what all the fuss is about! So without realizing it just by the fact alone that people raise so much cane about it, they are probably promoting it. People will buy it just to see what all the fuss is about!

Tim

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
There are those that are dead set against bowl coatings. Some believe they are used to hide problems inside the bowl, others are against the ingredients - which is why many pipe makers say their coatings are a secret recipe. I say, just get used to them, they are going to be used more and more. Even the last 2 new Dunhills that passed through my hands had bowl coatings applied. My recipe is to make up a sugar and water syrup. About 4 teaspoons of sugar in an eggcup of water. I then have some carbon powder and ground pumice mixed together about 3/1 in favour of the carbon. I put a little of this mix in a small plastic shot glass then add some of the syrup, trying to get the consistence of thick paint. Then I add just a few drops of waterglass, just to help the mixture set after being painted in the bowl.
You know what I find amusing about some of the discussions about sodium silicate bowl coatings is that some guys will talk about how terrible sodium silicate is then turn around and laud fireplace mortar as an alternative while the bonding agent in fireplace mortar is sodium silicate.
I am not against the use of SS as shown above. I have never used it to mix to the consistency needed to fill a potential burnout. I just find a small dab of pre-mixed fire cement easier to use without the hassle of mixing.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
It's great, FMR for fixing spider cracks and building up btms of bowls, MSDS says its non toxic, never thought about coating the bowl completely. Easy to use and once it's fixed it's fixed.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
What I have used on some of the cherry pipes I've made is honey activated charcoal and whisky as a thinner to get it to the right consistency for a real thin coat. I have never detected any off flavor from the coating, but my taste buds may be different than someone else's. Obviously the cherry is not as fire resistant as briar so I usually coat them. Again I respect everybody's opinion and I'm very thankful for all the responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.