PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Still never heard of careless driving, definitely have heard of reckless though. A neighbor got the charge for swerving her car back and forth with her children in it to make them giggle and the cops pulled her over...

Dec 24, 2012
Well, where we are, we have careless driving (provincial highway traffic act) and dangerous driving (federal criminal code)
I was just curious whether they charged him with dangerous driving (criminal) because that is mucho trouble

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I seriously doubt it since it was snowy conditions. To be a criminal action there really must be intent to cause harm, with wintery conditions and only property damage, it would be really hard to put a criminal charge on it... It sucks though, I lost a car by hitting a slab of rock left over by a forklift in the middle of the road, the owner never marked it, he was in his home when I hit it. The officer was a buddy of his, "lost" the photos of the accident and charged me with speeding even though I was going 5 below the limit, his words were "you must have been going way over the speed limit to fly through the air like that and land on the rock." All of which was not true. It was the same color as the road and under a sizable bump, making it pretty impossible to see, barely hit the edge of the wheel on it, but it was around a hundred pounds or so and bent the frame anyway.
Between the improperly written police report, the lost photographs of the accident, and the sudden removal of all the rocks in the area, it was pretty impossible to put a case against the guy.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response.
Peck, you're right the kid was charged with "Careless Driving". I was quoting what his folks told me at the accident reporting centre. I looked up the highway traffic act charge and you're spot on. I would encourage the kid to fight it too. He can only benefit from challenging the charge; it's a hefty one. Thanks also for the clarity on how insurance companies deal with each other in these incidents.
Eric, Peck and I live in a place where driving in snowy and icy conditions is a matter of fact. There are times when the judicious thing to do is not drive, or to drive according to conditions. This young man was in a car that was equipped with four newish snow tires and still managed to leave the road, traverse our front lawn and t-bone our car. Conditions may have played a part, but so did his decision making. Regardless, I applaud him and his folks for the fact that he stayed on scene, rang our doorbell and took responsibility. I hope he doesn't pay for the mistakes made for too long, this was a shitty way to have to learn when/how to drive in snow.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.