PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Archaeologists in the ancient Roman city of Pompeii have uncovered a painting which depicts what might be the precursor to the Italian pizza".

Well it certainly looks like 2,000 year old pizza to me.

1 pizza.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Reactions: UB 40

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
But was it sold and consumed in triangular slices?

This kind of ambiguity needs a semi arbitrary organizing principle and slice style is as good a parameter as any.

• Haha
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
The pizza we know today is originated from Napoli. With tomatoes that were unknown before the west explored South America, also buffalo mozzarella, olive oil are some of the ingredients etc. baked especially for a very short period in very hot oven beneath a wood fire.

But similar flatbread with diverse toppings has been spread far over Italy as focaccia and almost over any civilised region in the many thousand years before.

Yes the Greek also have their pitas, nothing to do with a pizza, just a wrap for meets and other things.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I firmly believe the origins of pizza will be determined by which claiment has the best public relations campaign. I'd bet money that any region that dined on flatbread could make the claim. That's a lot of regions!

The US population of Italians certainly puts an Italian region in the lead.

Reactions: fireground_piper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
"Archaeologists in the ancient Roman city of Pompeii have uncovered a painting which depicts what might be the precursor to the Italian pizza".

Well it certainly looks like 2,000 year old pizza to me.

View attachment 230138

Regards,

Jay.
the known history of Pizza is interesting. Although it took a while to get to something we'd call pizza. I love how with ancient and historic recipes they either sound incredible or horrifying. Like I think that could be a big thing now or no way anyone would eat that. Like overly sweetened pizza with rose water for the flavor sounds not so great.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Too bad the jews didn't have tomatoes and cheese during the exodus ... could have invented flatbread pizza and beat everyone to the punch by 1000s of years!

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Conflating flatbreads is intellectually disingenuous.

Does it have toppings?
Does it have a handle/crust?
Does it get sliced?
Does the pizzaiola have an ego about him?

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Joey’s go back to near the beginning of time a la the biblical Joseph: there’s no telling which one of them invented pizza.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK