PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Has anyone ever tried this, sprinkling a little flavored snuff on your lit pipe tobacco for a short burst of flavor? If so does it work?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think the ignition of powdered tobacco would impart much flavor in a pipe. Maybe the smell would

add a dimension to the overall taste experience. I'd be careful. Powdered flammables can be somewhat

unpredictable.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I'd be careful. Powdered flammables can be somewhat

unpredictable.
+1. I'm sure Rsuninv, our resident fire scene investigator could elaborate. I figure you have a 1 in 1000 chance of singeing your eyebrows. :puffy:

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
:rofl: Oh that would be a hard situation to explain to the fire department.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I love to add a little Garrett Scotch Snuff (unflavored) to my pipe on occasion. This is not anything new and has been discussed often over the years in the old Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris, The Pipe Collector Magazine and on the internet.
Here is how I do it - Load your pipe as you normally would with your tobacco of choice. Then add a pinch of snuff to the top of the bowl and tap the bowl with your fingers so that the snuff will even out and sift down into the first layer of tobacco a little. Lighter 'er up and enjoy. It will provide a nicotine wallop with the first few puffs, so, avoid if you don't care for vitamin N because the snuff will add strength to the blend you are smoking for the first quarter bowl.
If you smoke straight Virginia or especially Burley, you will be surprised at how much of the snuff flavor (especially if it is flavored snuff) you will be able to taste.
Again, it is a fun variance and something I have no problem recommending at all.
Best,
Pipestud

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I don't know on this one...
Most of the snuffs I enjoy are a much different range of flavors from my pipe tobaccos. I like menthols, fruit flavors etc. Right now I'm hooked on Gawith Apricot.
I'll keep pipe tobacco in my pipe and snuff in my nose :)

We had a guy bring some snuffs to one of our pipe club meetings. We all tried sniffing it, and I am unashamed to say that I just sneezed like crazy, as did everyone else who tried it. I thought my sinuses were trying to leave through my nose with each sneeze. But, he showed us how to put a little on the cherry of the pipe tobacco while lit to get an extra nic hit, and flavor, if you're into that sort of thing. I tried a couple of the unflavored snuffs of different blends. They gave me a headache and a bit of the spins. I would recommend to those who need this nic hit, maybe before bed or something, but the aromatic lovers went nuts over this stuff. Me? I'll just stick to pipe tobaccos. I don't need to ramp up my addictions, ha ha. The same reason I cut out my espresso shots between cups of coffee.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Well just to clear things up a little, this was more of a friendly inquiry than a need for advice on how to do it. I don't dip or snort snuff and my allergies are bad enough as it is, but I had heard about this somewhere on this forum I guess, and was just wondering if anyone has done it and how it worked out. And ae1pt no disrespect taken, and one thing I have never been accused of is being politically correct. :mrgreen:

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I feel like I've also read about someone grinding pipe tobacco to make nasal snuff. Anyone?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I like Sir Walter Scott Auld Alliance. It has a nice tobacco flavor.
I have never tried to smoke it.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Well since snuff itself is just milled down tobacco, I imagine pipe tobaccos can be ground down to snort (mortar and pestle would be handy!).
I think it would make an interesting experiment to add some snuff, I'll maybe try adding some chocolate snuff to SG Chocolate Flake!

May 31, 2012
I love to add a little Garrett Scotch Snuff (unflavored) to my pipe on occasion. This is not anything new and has been discussed often over the years in the old Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris, The Pipe Collector Magazine and on the internet.
Here is how I do it - Load your pipe as you normally would with your tobacco of choice. Then add a pinch of snuff to the top of the bowl and tap the bowl with your fingers so that the snuff will even out and sift down into the first layer of tobacco a little. Lighter 'er up and enjoy. It will provide a nicotine wallop with the first few puffs, so, avoid if you don't care for vitamin N because the snuff will add strength to the blend you are smoking for the first quarter bowl.
If you smoke straight Virginia or especially Burley, you will be surprised at how much of the snuff flavor (especially if it is flavored snuff) you will be able to taste.
Again, it is a fun variance and something I have no problem recommending at all.
Best,
Pipestud
Awesome, thanks for this!
I've been pondering this idea lately, but I was just gonna sprinkle on top, good tip to distribute it equally.
Also good to know that the snuff can add some N,

like I love Dark Star but it always leaves me unfulfilled, I wonder if a little snuff might just give it the mule-kick that I need?
Most especially I'm interested in adding some of the British flavored snuff to see what happens.
Snuff is totally uncharted territory for me, but I have a theory that the UK scented flakes I love so much just might have something in common with traditional snuff flavorings, and I'm especially interested to see what the fruity varieties will do, not so keen on the floral.
I'm gonna start with some Wilsons SP,

I have a feeling that it might possibly be similar to the St. Bruno profile...

...anyone here experienced both St. Bruno and a good SP?

If so, are they similar?
I plan on getting some Viking Dark for an N booster,

this is gonna be an interesting experiment!

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Here we go!

image60-600x450.jpg

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I can see this becoming a thing. Sprinkled a bump on some McC's 2010 which I find to be a very mild VA. Tapped it a few times to let it sift through the first couple layers. Definitely enhancing the flavor and can really taste the sweetness. My tongue is starting to tingle, but my be tongue bite, 3rd bowl in half a day, more than usual. As for the nic, my tolerance is too high to tell.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I'm thinking snuff is pretty hard to come by in the States. I know there is Mr. Snuff. One of the local head shops has a case of both Garret & Son Sweet and Scotch snuff. I can ship to anyone who's interested $10/can. I know that's the only time and place I've ever seen nasal snuff for sale.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
$15 for both. If it's readily available, maybe in other states, apologies. Otherwise if interested PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.