PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hahaha! I read a book about a boy and his pet raccoon in sixth grade and have wanted one ever since...my wife yells at me every time I bring up the subject, probably because she knows I'd actually have one if I could!
I have a beautiful Rollagas lighter, but even after replacing all the gaskets and inlet valve, it still has a slow leak. It isn't really all that great for pipes anyway, but it's sooo nice looking. I ought to sell it to someone who can finish up the repair and then use the money to get the old boy style lighter. I'd love a kiribi. If I can't part with the rollagas, I'I'll pick up one of the Yibaos.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I read a book about a boy and his pet raccoon in sixth grade and have wanted one ever since
Was it Rascal? I think I remember weeping when he had to let that raccoon go find a wife raccoon. It was one of those ancient things we used to call a book, with paper and some style of type a guy in the 17th century came up with and they still had to credit him into the 20th century.
As for the lighting question. I will use Bics, matches, or Zippos but the flavor of that first hit is one that is so unique to the rest of the bowl that I don't want to add acetone or sulphur to the mix so I go for the Corona old boy and it's so reliable I just tend to keep it with me anyway.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Books- paper? Leather even?? I have some dim memory of same.....
Actually, I just unearthed a real book, by Balfour, called simply Alfred Dunhill. 1992, UK printed. From the briefest look though, it's gorgeously printed. Was in my late Uncle's estate. I'd better tuck into it before the next TV series that catches my eye.....

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Yes! It was Rascal! Loved that book. I ought to get it and read it with my kids. Such a great story and true as well! I think I still remember the author's name, Sterling North?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I purchased exactly the same lighter last year in December, haven't used it yet though. Lots of people praise the tank capacity of Kiribi lighters. Here is mine:
2017-02-13-011016-450x600.jpg

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That's sharp! I need to get my Rollagas sold, as much as I will hate to see it go. I'm really liking this style lighter.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I smoke outdoors and only a Zippo isn't a PITA. If I smoked indoors I'd use matches or a $1 BIC clone. I admit those retro-look arm-style lighters are cool looking, but as a leftie the burnt thumb is a downside.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've had mine for a year now and never had an issue. Replaced the flint once since then.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another or to recommend it to a friend.
Hell I may buy a second and leave one on each floor. lol

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I managed to keep a Kabuto for about 8 months before finally losing it about a month ago.

I've started using matches for my first light, then a djeep or bic for subsequent lights. I'll usually wipe some saliva on the rim before lighting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.