PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
without people doing risky and unwise things, we'd still be chasing wild animals with sticks, wearing uncured hides for clothing, and wiping our asses with our hands (if we bothered at all).
You made me laugh Mike, and that's not an easy thing to do. :puffy:

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I have a buddy that's a "Pipe Carrier" in the Lakota tradition, which is fancy talk for he has a peace pipe and will do ceremony with it. I've more than once done a pipe ceremony with him that involves the smoking of osha root, willow bark, and tobacco. The taste is pleasant enough.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I discovered another advantage to smoking willow bark: If you mix it with tobacco it eliminates the bitter taste near the end of the bowl.

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
I can't see smoking willow bark, now I do boil it and use it as a tincture...(will bark once refined is natural aspirin). Maybe smoking it has the same effects as a mild pain killer.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Willow was used in many cultures through out history to calm fevers and for pain relief. We have Willow to thank for Aspirin. It is a source of Salicin which is converted to Salicylic acid in the body. Salicylic acid is a precursor of Aspirin.

jogrefoln

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Knight Island, AK
I'm not positive as it's been a while since I read it, but I believe Black Elk is quoted to have used willow bark in smoking rituals to help heal and aid the sick. It could be that he said they fed it to their horses as well.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
From what I understand about its chemical composition; if you brew it you can draw out a compound similar to aspirin for pain relief. Not sure if the same can be said for smoking it.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Mike always makes me laugh.

We live 9 miles north of Asheville, a mushrooming wonder area. Know the president of the shrooming club, she took my wife out & brought back wonderful amounts of delights.

Several years ago, 7 guys from Japan came over here to hunt shrooms & enjoy them. 5 died to liver failure & they had degrees in this stuff.

What killed them was they ate a mushroom that looked exactly like ones they ate in their homeland....but wasn't.

Very sad.

Start playing with Mother Nature, be sure you know what you are doing. Sometimes, no 2nd chance.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I still remember many moons ago in the Boy Scouts when everyone smoked grapevine on campouts- We just grabbed a piece about a 1/4" in diameter, fired it up and smoked it...and washed it down with some Sassafras tea. No one ever died, but I did hear stories about someone who tried it with a piece of poison ivy vine....
...and on the subject of toxic smoke- we used to own some Mexican restaurants in Memphis. Had a guy ask us to throw a handful of fresh Jalapenos onto a red hot iron platter with his fajitas...A toxic cloud of burning Jalapeno smoke erupted off the platter and damn near emptied the restaurant. (Lesson learned- you probably don't want to add freshly ground jalapeno to your tobacco if you're looking for more of a spicy kick than your get from Perique)

songdog

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Thanks for bringing up this string again. And thanks jazzlover for the link to Columbines. I don't know about willow bark, but as a boy I tried smoking dried willow leaves in a pipe made from what the locals called briar. I much prefer tobacco in a pipe made from Erica arborea-type briar!

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
Not sure how Willow would be for smoking. I use it to make a tincture for headaches. You can boil and reduce it, it is basically the basis for aspirin. I wonder if smoking it will also give the same effects of a light blood thinner ( along the same lines as deer tongue).

sunnyhours

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
Willow bark is the "old school" Aspirin.

I wonder if it works when smoked too?

I could see myself smoking to help my arthritis :P
Also, Rustica is pretty sweet too, haven't tried smoking it but many of my favorite snuffs have a fair amount of it :)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
It is called kinnikinnick, and the first nations people of the wester plains used to use it in peace pipe ceremonies. It is basically a combination of willow bark, N. Rustica and other local herbs. My friends dad has been trying to get some for me (he's a first nations elder), but he's on reserve time so I expect it to take a couple of years haha.
Google kinnikinnick and there is a bunch of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.