PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yes, it's not necessary. But, it does indicate you have done well prepping your smoke. Dry tobacco, lightly packed bowl, and proper tamping practice. All the skills come together and without thinking about it, you end up with nothing but the ashes. It only happens occasionally for me. I don't really pay too much attention to it, but when it happens, it tickles me pink.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Rare unless I set a pipe down and come back to it. I don’t dry my tobacco. So the bottom third I usually tap out when the pipe taps out. I’ve had those happen before. Carter Hall smokes itself. Granger can be greedy with relights.

Like Kal just said, humidity and other variables factor in from smoke to smoke — even in my case same tobacco from same jar in same pipes.

Don’t let it bother you. Enjoy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MM cobs consistently burn the bowl to gray ash without any deterioration of flavor; they eventually just won't relight. Fini. Some of my good smoking pipes won't ever quite burn all the leaf, though they just leave a small pinch. I think if you don't worry about it, and pay attention, you'll smoke up most or all of what you pack.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Why would you loosely pack dry tobacco? It needs less oxygen to burn.
Ok, that's a scientific fact, but on a dry day out in the garden or in the woods, only the sour acrid smells come across, but on a humid day, the sweet, rich, earthy aromas flood the senses. Maybe you like sour and acrid, a lot of people do, nothing wrong with that ?

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Not wishing to be contentious, but smoking down to white powdery ash is not, and never was a goal, for me. I generally dump out the last shreds of tobacco when they lose their ember of life, and go out. In fact, I never really think about smoking all the way to the white-ash stage when I smoke my pipes. If it happens, it happens.

Relighting, and almost forcing myself to smoke a few shreds of burnt, rank, dottle, is not my idea of how I want to end a smoking session. I despise coating my tongue with bits of burnt tobacco and crispy ashes. I would much rather call it quits and cut my losses.

Charring relights -which are almost always necessary- with a scant minimum of tobacco at the bottom of the bowl.....can cause the heel of the pipe to burn out, or worse, crack, from the excessive, raw heat and flame. Why take that risk just to smoke a few shreds of soggy, used up tobacco?

That, being said, there were very few times that I actually got to smoke down to the bottom of the bowl without any relighting. My Muse of Pipe Smoking must have been hovering over me on these occasions.

But I am never unaware when smoking, that there is a certain magical point, where the flavor from your fresh charge of smoldering tobacco changes, and it goes from good to not so good, then to bad, steamy, and rank. At this point....the party is over, for me. I call it a day, dump the shreds, and move on. In my world, white ash at the bottom of the bowl is as rare as the truth from rat-face, Dr. Fauci.

Sadly....my pipe tobacco is not like a mythical Phoenix.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Not wishing to be contentious, but smoking down to white powdery ash is not, and never was a goal, for me. I generally dump out the last shreds of tobacco when they lose their ember of life, and go out. In fact, I never really think about smoking all the way to the white-ash stage when I smoke my pipes. If it happens, it happens.

Relighting, and almost forcing myself to smoke a few shreds of burnt, rank, dottle, is not my idea of how I want to end a smoking session. I despise coating my tongue with bits of burnt tobacco and crispy ashes. I would much rather call it quits and cut my losses.

Charring relights -which are almost always necessary- with a scant minimum of tobacco at the bottom of the bowl.....can cause the heel of the pipe to burn out, or worse, crack, from the excessive, raw heat and flame. Why take that risk just to smoke a few shreds of soggy, used up tobacco?

That, being said, there were very few times that I actually got to smoke down to the bottom of the bowl without any relighting. My Muse of Pipe Smoking must have been hovering over me on these occasions.

But I am never unaware when smoking, that there is a certain magical point, where the flavor from your fresh charge of smoldering tobacco changes, and it goes from good to not so good, then to bad, steamy, and rank. At this point....the party is over, for me. I call it a day, dump the shreds, and move on. In my world, white ash at the bottom of the bowl is as rare as the truth from rat-face, Dr. Fauci.

Sadly....my pipe tobacco is not like a mythical Phoenix.
One man's bad, steamy, and rank is another man's delicious and sublime ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ok, that's a scientific fact, but on a dry day out in the garden or in the woods, only the sour acrid smells come across, but on a humid day, the sweet, rich, earthy aromas flood the senses. Maybe you like sour and acrid, a lot of people do, nothing wrong with that ?
I generally only smoke Virginia/Orientals and aromatics, never been acrid though I rarely produce enough visible smoke to be so.

Reactions: JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I actually enjoy the last third of the bowl the best. Flavor is settled and full. Also it's more consistent. It's rare my bottom of the bowl is soggy. If your bottom of the bowl is soggy, that sign of either tobacco being not dry, being a wet smoker, or tamping too hard and compacting the tobacco. But as long as you enjoy it, that's all it matters.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Moist tobacco, firmly packed, smokes all the way down to a fine grey Ash with no dottle for me, I cant explain why that is, I just ram it in and smoke it. I dont draw hard, I just breathe, it smokes.
But dry tobacco, loosely packed ? Tried it, hated it. Absolutely loathed it in fact.
Folks' definition of what's moist and what's dry vary widely.
Can you in some way pin down what's what?