PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
For any of you guys who want to get the smoke smell out of a room, or ever the whole house, heads up!

I recently bought one of these and I can't believe how well it works. It replaces one I had for about 30 years (cost $300 back then) and is much better. Highly recommended. puffy

71WEFs3mwrL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Last edited:

peejhunt

Lurker
Aug 26, 2010
Greenup, Kentucky
So, my oldest daughter, whom I live with, was complaining about the pipe tobacco smell that sometimes escaped my room. She's not looking for a better smelling tobacco... she want's no tobacco smell at all.

I basically live in my room, and the kitchen. I always keep my door shut and try to crack the window when weather conditions allow. But with the central AC and Heat positive air flow the smell will escape occasionally. I told her I'd take care of it.

So, this is my fix. It works fantastic! These computer case fans with variable speed controller and 120v connection can be purchased on Amazon in gangs of 2, 3, or 4. So I bought a gang of 3 and a gang of 4 and connected them for a gang of 7. I wrapped the entire edge with 3/4" x 1" closed cell weather stripping. As you can see, they fit my window absolutely perfectly. The rack comes out easily if I choose, but I'm fashioning a thin board blank that will slide down in front of the fans for nighttime and when it's raining, or when the fans are off.

With the speed set at lowest point, I can just barely hear the fans and it will evacuate the room of all smell and smoke in about 15-20 minutes. If I turn the fans higher it does the job quicker. There is a good airflow coming in around bedroom door with it closed, along with pulling ambient air through the duct work, so there is no way for smoke or the smell of smoke to escape my room. I've been using it for 5 days and she said she hasn't smelled anything coming from my room, so mission accomplished! Total cost $100

Very nice! I may have to try something like this in the colder months!

Reactions: monty55

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
What a fantastic idea Monty. I never knew those existed. I can definitely see this project in my future. Thank you!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
We've had 8 weeks over 100 degrees, and 2 weeks over 104 degrees and high humidity. Hasn't stopped me one bit. The rack of fans comes in and out of the window very easily. I set it up. Smoke. Give it a bit to air out the room, then pull the rack out of the window and shut it. The fact you have a constant airflow of cooler air going out prevents hot air from coming in, over a short amount of time.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
For any of you guys who want to get the smoke smell out of a room, or ever the whole house, heads up!

I recently bought one of these and I can't believe how well it works. It replaces one I had for about 30 years (cost $300 back then) and is much better. Highly recommended. puffy

View attachment 238774
Read up on ozone inhalation.
You might not like what it says.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
What a fantastic idea Monty. I never knew those existed. I can definitely see this project in my future. Thank you!

Update!

For those of you wanting to replicate this, there is a new twist/tip as follows:

I mentioned that you need to apply a thick insulation tape around the edge of the rack of fans to take up slight gaps on the ends, and to get a good seal on the top and bottom and a nice cushion to close the window against. The problem is there is not much surface area on the edges of these fans to stick the insulation tape too, and after a month or two of taking it in and out of the window the tape starts to come away from the rack of fans.

The solution is to purchase a roll of foil tape from the HVAC area of your favorite hardware store. Foil tape has a sticky factor perfect for this application. In addition, if you cut the tape right down the middle, each half is exactly wide enough to apply to the edge of the rack of fans. After applying the foil tape to the edge you now have a nice smooth semi-firm surface too apply the insulation tape to. It works great now. I have not had the foil tape try to pull away from the edge of the fans, nor have I had the insulation tape try to pull away from the foil tape.
Problem solved!

Hope this helps
Cheers puffy

IMG_0729.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Update!

For those of you wanting to replicate this, there is a new twist/tip as follows:

I mentioned that you need to apply a thick insulation tape around the edge of the rack of fans to take up slight gaps on the ends, and to get a good seal on the top and bottom and a nice cushion to close the window against. The problem is there is not much surface area on the edges of these fans to stick the insulation tape too, and after a month or two of taking it in and out of the window the tape starts to come away from the rack of fans.

The solution is to purchase a roll of foil tape from the HVAC area of your favorite hardware store. Foil tape has a sticky factor perfect for this application. In addition, if you cut the tape right down the middle, each half is exactly wide enough to apply to the edge of the rack of fans. After applying the foil tape to the edge you now have a nice smooth semi-firm surface too apply the insulation tape to. It works great now. I have not had the foil tape try to pull away from the edge of the fans, nor have I had the insulation tape try to pull away from the foil tape.
Problem solved!

Hope this helps
Cheers puffy

View attachment 240234
Do you have a photo of the tape and insulation installed on your rig? I’m having a hard time imagining it from your description.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

Yah nothing you want to sit in and after you use one for a few hours it's best to open windows and air the room out, plays hell with sinus tissue and other things.

I bought a small one that you plug into the outlet like a glad air freshener and you can set "power levels" sometimes i'll crank it up over night and let it run, then in the morning i'll go in and open and couple windows and air it out before i hang out in there. Works well and always good to err on the side of caution.

Reactions: woodsroad

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA

Gabby Hayes

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
So. Cal.
Nope. If I can't sit down and relax in a climate-controlled room to smoke my pipe, then I don't smoke it. No way I'd relegate that time to the outdoors. There is only about one month during the spring and a month during the fall where the weather is nice here, otherwise it's hot and humid or cold and damp, and I'm not smoking my pipe in either. IMO this hobby should be enjoyed under relaxing conditions, not hurry up and get back in the house conditions.
Different strokes I guess. I much prefer smoking my pipes outside in the fresh air in the shade with a nice breeze. You never get the stale smell of tobacco smoke out of a room you smoke in regularly, no matter what.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Initial plugin test leads me to believe we have a real winner here. Two banks of 4 will fit in my 39” office window nicely. This array really packs the power. I am quite impressed. Thanks again for the tip Monty!

Attachments

• IMG_2175.jpeg
    IMG_2175.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Love

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Initial plugin test leads me to believe we have a real winner here. Two banks of 4 will fit in my 39” office window nicely. This array really packs the power. I am quite impressed. Thanks again for the tip Monty!
Great! Man with 8 fans you should have some really nice air flow, even set on the lowest setting. You will get better and quieter air flow if you remove the cages.
Let us know how it works out when you get it installed and tested.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.

The thing about ozone generators is not to use them all the time. Too much ozone can be bad for the lungs. However, occasional use, when needed, is no problem. I've used one for over 30 years and I'm fine. puffy

Reactions: woodsroad

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Ozone generator is fine if used properly. I run one in my truck about once every 6-8 weeks for about 20 minutes with windows up and AC set to recirc. After that 20 min, open the windows and let the AC run for about 15-20 minutes before getting back in.

I’ve used the same approach for rooms in houses before, to address smoke smell or mildew smell. Regular use is fine and effective, but important to clear the air properly before inhabiting the space.

This fan unit idea is a pretty cool idea!

Edit to mention - if not clear, ozone is an after treatment, definitely not a solution to OP’s original stated scenario. The window unit idea is cool, and may end up being a great pairing w/ozone if stale smell is an issue.

Last edited: